FIVE, "A DEEP SLEEP"

HYPNOTIC, VOL I!

HYPNOTIC, VOL I!

FIVE,  "A DEEP SLEEP"

The party is in full force by the time Violet and Billy arrive at precisely 10:43 PM. Warm bodies swarm the living room, elbows bumping and people rubbing to fit between the lack of open spaces. Billy's hand lands on her lower back, weaving her through the herd of drunken teenagers towards the emptier kitchen area. She mutters apologies to the ones she bumps into, but Billy continues to guide her before they can respond.

When they reach the kitchen, she feels like she can finally breathe. Though still packed, it's not as bad as the previous room.

Everytime they come to a party, she kind of feels like a fish out of water. Like she doesn't really belong here. She thought sharing a joint with Billy before coming inside would do something to ease her nerves, and it did a little, but not enough to stop the static in her veins.

She pulls her skirt down when it rides up her thigh a little, fixing her tucked in sweater so it doesn't bunch awkwardly in the front. God forbid she's physically and mentally a mess right now.

"Want something to drink?" Billy asks her.

"No, thank you," she says.

Mixing alcohol and weed is a horrible idea for her; the one time she did it, she threw up all over her bathroom floor and spent hours cleaning it up while the room continued to spin around her. The memory itself still makes her feel woozy, and she'd rather die than live that ever again.

"OK," he says. "I'm gonna go get one."

She nods with tight lips. "Come find me when you wanna smoke or something."

"You got it."

If there's one thing about herself that Violet knows Billy appreciates, it's when she doesn't hover around him. Despite him basically dragging her to all of these parties for the appearances (which is a huge benefit for her, like, seriously), she never feels the need to hang on his arm or invade his space. He can have just as much fun as he used to (pre-fake dating), but every once in a while he'll come back and press a kiss to her cheek or smoke a blunt with her before continuing on with his night.