The real of desperation

The sun shone heavily on the land. I sat on Sprite. We were supposed to be moving cattle. But we hadn't moved at all since Kayce and Rip sat and argued like children. A yawn slipped out of my mouth. I was still having trouble sleeping. I had finally stole one of Rip's t-shirts. It helped a little but not a lot.

"Hey Carly can you come with us?" Dad asked.

"Where?"

"Into town." I frowned at him. "Just come with us."

"Ok fine." I unmounted Sprite and went to unsaddled him. I then went and got in the back seat of the pick up. Dad was driving and Kayce was in the passagner seat. As we started down the road I couldn't keep my eyes opened. I let them close and fell asleep.

I woke up to somebody shaking me. My eyes flew opened to see Kayce. He looked at me with worry. I rubbed the sleep out of my eyes as he moved. I grabbed my hat and got out. We were at the livestock office. What were we doing here? Dad handed him a badge.

"Isn't that what you wanted to be?"

"Um. I'm gonna need some time to think."

" Dad was giving him a agent job? Ok." I thought to myself. As they were doing things I saw a familiar face talking to the receptionist. "Well if it ain't Larry Bennett!" I called out as I walked over to him.

"Well hello Carly! How are you?"

"I'm good how about you?"

"Can't complain."

"How's Clare doing?" Clare was his granddaughter.

"She doing good. She got to see you ride the other day. Said you did great."

"Well tell her thank you."

"Carly." Dad called.

"I'll see you later Mr. Bennett."

When I closed the door to the office they were already talking about him doing ride along. I went and sat in the chair that was available.

"Dad hang on a moment. I don't know if I can pass the test like the phyc eval."

"You won't have to take them. And why wouldn't you pass them?"

"My whole life." Dad shook his head then turned his attention to me.

"Now Carly first off Kayce won't be living in the bunk with the boys. He can't learn living with em. And I'm sorry but I had to. Second off if and when Kayce takes this job you are going to have to step up on the ranch. Think you can handle that?"

"I know I can." He nodded.

"Good. Now you two are going to talk." He walked out and closed the door behind him.

"You look tired." Kayce commented after a moment.

"That's because I am." He nodded.

"Look Carly I am sorry. Tell me what to do on how to fix this."

"I don't think you can." I told him honestly. I noticed that he keeped looking at his watch and looking out the window. "Why do you keep looking at your watch? Got a date?"

"I'm going to go see her." I shook my head and looked at the sky praying that the Lord gave me some patience.

"Your going to go see her?" I asked making sure I had heard him right.

"Ya."

"You know she always seems to run when something doesn't  go her way. That just don't sit right with me. If you love somebody you stand by em." He sat down and put his face in his hands.

"I know but what am I supposed to do? I love her."

"I don't know. Not my problem. My man loves me and stands by me. Because that what we do for each other."

"Brutally honest today."

"I don't sugar coat shit I'm not Willy Wanka." Kayce lifted his head up and let out a little laugh. I couldn't help but smile at him.

I walked out into the barn. I leaned on the wall and watch Rip fed the horses. Before giving the horse the hay he would pet them.

"What did your dad want?" He asked with out turning around.

" How did you know it was me?" I asked. He turned to look at me.

"You're the only one that stares at me." He said with a smirk that made me weak in my knees.

"I do not stare!" I said putting my hands on my hips. He made his way over and place his hands over mine.

"Yes you do darling. But I also know because you smell like lilacs and vinalla. Pretty sure nobody else smells like that." I let out a laugh then pulled him into a kiss. "So what did your dad want?" He asked when we broke apart.

"Kayce is getting an agent job so I get to step up on running the ranch.

"That's great hon." He smiled. A smile appeared on my face. As I walked by one of the ranch truck as I walked to the house it stunk. Avery and Jimmy stood next to it cleaning it.

"Jesus, what in the hell is that smell?" I asked.

"There was this um." Avery started.

"A can of beer spray went off by accident." Jimmy said.

"Accident?" I asked with an eyebrow raised. "Don't stop scrubbing till the smell is gone it stinks!" I said the walked away.

We all gathered around the dinner table. Gator put a plate down in front of me. On it was something slimmy and with tenicals.

"What is this?" I asked as I poked it.

"Grilled octopus." My stomach rolled.

"Sorry Beth I don't eat things that swim in the ocean. I'm going to go eat with the guys."  She glared at me but waved me off. I thanked my lucky stars and took off. As I shut the main door I ran into somebody. I looked up. It was Jamie. "What are you doing back?" I folded my arms across my chest.

"Decided to come home." I let out a laugh.

"No. I don't think that's it. I think that you know your going to lose the election and decided to see if dad would help you out. Witch he won't. He won't at least with politics but he will give you a room. Beth's going to eat you alive." I let out a laugh as I head to the bunk house.