Stars

TW: Character death, panic, not attack, but the starting symptoms.

Y/n's Pov: (A/n: FINALLY, btw, brief chapter. Sorry :>)

We landed at Crissy Field after nightfall. 

Annabeth, Percy, and Grayson stayed back with Dr Chase, while Thalia, mum and I stayed with Zoe. It was dark, but I could see that Zoe didn't look good. She was shivering, and the faint glow that usually hung around her was fading. We had no ambrosia or nectar. No regular medicine would help.

"There has to be something," I cried exasperatedly. "Anything we can do!"

My hands started shaking as my breathing grew heavy. I closed my eyes, trying to contain the tears. Zoe grabbed my hand.

"Y/n/n," Zoe said carefully. "There is nothing I want being done."

"No." My voice cracked. "You can't—you can't—"

"You have shown bravery, Y/n/n." She caressed my cheek. "You have made me proud. I'm sorry you couldn't join us."

I sobbed, clutching her hand closer to my cheek. "You're everything I have. My only family."

"What about Lady Artemis, or the rest of the Hunters?"

"But they're not you. They didn't teach me everything I know. How to survive, how to defend myself, and what a family is. You taught me that. You can't leave me."

I felt my mother's breath hitch.

"I will never leave thee, Y/n/n, I will always be here." She pointed at my heart. "With thee, wherever you go."

"But I won't be able to see you. The memories will fade someday."

"Remember me by looking at the stars. Near my favourite constellation."

"Ursa Major," I remembered.

"Remember me by sharing my stories, tell new generations my favourite ones."

"Mother's myths."

"Remember me every time you see a weeping willow."

"Your favourite tree."

"I will not leave thee. I will always accompany you. In the memories, we have together."

I sobbed.

"Thalia," Zoe called. "Bring Percy, Annabeth and Grayson."

Thalia did as told. Moments later, the trio appeared behind her.

"Can't you heal her with magic?" Percy asked mother. "I mean... you're a goddess." 

Mother looked troubled. "Life is a fragile thing, Percy. If the Fates will the string to be cut, there is little I can do. But I can try." 

She tried to set her hand on Zoe's side, but Zoe gripped her wrist. She looked into mum's eyes, and some kind of understanding passed between them. 

"Have I... served thee well?" Zoe whispered. 

"With great honour," mum said softly. "The finest of my attendants." 

Zoe's face relaxed. "Rest. At last." 

"I can try to heal the poison, my brave one." 

But at that moment, I knew it wasn't just the poison that was killing her. It was her father's final blow. Zoe had known all along that the blow would kill her. Yet she had chosen to save Percy, and Atlas's fury had broken her inside. 

She saw Thalia and took her hand. 

"I am sorry we argued," Zoe said. "We could have been sisters."