A journey

Chapter 51

TWO YEARS LATER

The plane taxied across the runway and deftly lifted into the air. It was a beauty to behold, what with white and red colours glistening all over its body. The interior was even better. The cockpit sported state of the art dials and buttons, while the sitting areas had plush leather chairs and gadgets as well as many other attractions. A woman sat in one of the chairs peering down the lens of a camera. Her lips curled in a joyful smile. Every so often, she gasped as she sported a cloud. She turned to the man sitting beside her. "The clouds are so beautiful, they look just like cotton candy."

Her smile was wide and beautiful, making it difficult for anyone to resist smiling back at her. The man only managed a slight tweak of his lips as he turned to spare the clouds a glance. Within a few seconds, he turned his face back to gazing at the television, where the map-charting of their journey was visible. His face, an unfathomable mask as he continued staring at it.

The woman sighed and gently put the camera on her laps, then turned to the man. "Alex, please be calm, we will soon get there." She laid a hand on his and found it was shaking. At first she said nothing, sadness sparing her insides. Coming to a conclusion, she took his hands in her's. "Now, now, enough of that, aren't you tired of feeling sad? All this time and you still-"

"You can't expect me not to," was all he said before he turned back to watching the charting of their journey once more.

"Alright, let's see." The woman got up. "Let's change seats. I'm going to make you a cloud watcher by the end of this journey."

At first Alex didn't budge, but after some seconds, he reluctantly stood and changed seats. The woman gave him her camera and he began to take pictures. She could tell from the stiffness of his hands and the robotic way he clicked on the camera that he was only doing it to please her. His interest was evident. She was about to speak when the plane shuddered. She had been flying for so long and knew turbulence was normal, but when the plane shook once more, she turned to Alex with wide eyes.

He had put down the camera and was already facing her. Although he didn't look worried, his hands, however, clutched the armrest of the seat he was in. The red light went on and the pilot''s voice buzzed from the speaker. "We are experiencing some mild turbulence as a result of a storm brewing ahead. Kindly use your seat belts."

As if his words had conjured it, the sky suddenly darkened. Alex buckled his seat belt and so did the woman. Her eyes grew even wider. A sudden fear speared her insides and she began to breath harder. Sweat pooled on her forehead despite the cold temperature inside the plane. Alex noticed this and took her hand in his. "Ciara, relax, nothing is going to happen, we will get through this."

Ciara, however, did not seem to buy it. Her breathing got much worse as the plane shook even more. Forgetting about his own rising fear, Alex unbuckled his seat belt and knelt in front of his sister. "Ciara, look at me! Concentrate on my face." When he found out he had gotten her attention, he nodded. "Now, breathe deeply. In and out. While doing so, I want you to realize that you are safe, and nothing will happen to you."

He held on to her hands and continued talking to her as the plane shook and shuddered. After a few minutes of near-death experience, the sky cleared and the pilot's voice boomed through the speakers once more. "The worst is over, please unbuckle your seat belts."

Ciara let out a shaky breath as she pitched forward and hugged Alex. "Thanks, bro, I never want to experience that again."

Alex grinned and sat back in his seat. The rest of the flight went hitch-free until they arrived Japan. As soon as the plane banked and landed on the runway, a flurry of technicians spilled onto the tarmac and rushed towards the plane. Alex and Ciara took their carryon bags and walked out. "Welcome, sir, and madam!"