23

Dad lifted the cover of the casserole and sniffed. "There's something mighty fragrant in here, but I can't make out what it is," he remarked.

"It maybe the dashi. The recipe calls for two cups of it," Mom told him.

"Cantonese?" He guessed.

"Japanese," I informed him.

Dad tasted it and put an enraptured look on his face. "Delicious!"

I tasted, but didn't comment.

After dinner Dad went to his den to make some calls. He was an insurance broker and some people could only be reached in the evening. When Kim came over, Mom said she'd take over my chores in the kitchen.

"Oh, there's some Matsutake Dobin Mushi left, Kim. Perhaps you'd like a taste of it."

"Thanks, Mrs. Black, but I filled up on frankfurters and beans and we had cherry cheesecake for dessert."

Sometimes I wished my mother was an amateur actress instead of the author of a homemaking column. Cherry cheesecake wow! And not even an experimental one, but a gorgeous creation right out of the supermarket freezer.

Kim and I made ourselves comfortable on the cushions beside the windows. I'd already told her how it had gone with Alan that day, but she wanted to hear more.

"You're really sure you repaired the damage from yesterday?"

"As sure as I am that I'm sitting here. You should have seen his grin when I said Mrs. Cole only picked on the popular kids. It was dazzling."

"It would be," she said in a cryptic tone.

Something warned me not to ask her to explain herself. Instead, I told her how Marcus had acted at noon. "When I told him about Alan he just shrugged as if it weren't important and walked away. I don't think he's very interested in helping me anymore."

Kim made a dismissive gesture. "Boys get mood's, just like we do."

Marcus had never had moods before. I kept the thought to myself. "When I went by his place after school he wasn't home."

"So? There are a hundred places he could have been."

"He could have been with another girl!" I burst out.

Kim looked shocked for a minute, then she shook her head. "He wasn't with another girl. You have my word on it."

"How do you know?"

"I know boys, especially Marcus. In a way I know him better than you do." Again she sounded cryptic and again decided against questioning her.

We settled down to do our homework. I had trouble concentrating, though and not because of the rock beat that was coming from my portable stereo on the floor between us us. I couldn't help wondering if I was being stupid, not wanting Marcus to fall in love with another girl. What was he supposed to do when Alan and I began to go around together? He was getting used to going with a girl, but then all of a sudden he'd have no one.

I would have taken quite a dislike to myself if I hadn't decided Kim had been right when she said a girl like to think that all boys were capable of falling in love with her, even though she didn't love them.

If Marcus really got interested in another girl I'd be happy for him . . . wouldn't I?

After awhile I went downstairs and got some sodas, then Kim and I talked about the Christmas dance. She still had doubts that Linda Smith and Joel Pierce would be chosen as sweethearts of the ball.

"They quarrel more than any couple I know of who are supposed to be in love. I think it's a power struggle. Both of them are so superior they don't like to be topped by anyone."

"Could be," I said. Neither one of them went out for soccer and besides, they were upperclassmen, so I hadn't paid much attention to them.

"Do you have any ideas about getting Alan to ask you out?" Kim asked.

"I made my move today," I told her. "Now the ball's in his court. If he doesn't lob it back in a day or two I'll think of something."

I didn't tell her I was still worried about Marcus and that I didn't feel like making any plans until I saw him the next day.

Pretty soon the lights blinked off for a a second, then came on again. Kim and I both knew that was my dad's way of announcing curfew.

"I can take a hint," Kim said, putting on her shoes.

We got to our feet and I walked her to the door. "Let me know how the ball bounces," she said in an undertone.

"Yeah." I knew she was talking about Alan.

But I was thinking about Marcus and wondering what he'd have to say tomorrow.