My Theory

HELLO INTERNET, AND WELCOME TO FILM THEORY! Today we're investigating one of the best Villains, Bill Cipher, let's get right into it.

Sixty Degrees that come in threes

Watches from within birch trees

Saw his whole dimension burn

Misses home

Can't return

Says he's happy

He's a liar

Blame the Arson

For the Fire

If he wants to shirk the blame

He'll have to invoke my name

One way to absolve his crime

A different form

A different time.

This is the Axolotls poem. During Dipper and Mabel: Curse of the Time Pirates Treasure, a Select your own Choose-venture Dipper and Mabel take a wrong turn and meet the Axolotl, a being that was so powerful that he can bring people back from nothing. More powerful than Bill himself. This is the being that Bill himself invokes.

A-X-O-L-O-T-L, MY TIME HAS COME TO BURN,

I INVOKE THE ANCIENT POWERS,

THAT I MAY RETURN

(Gravity Falls Season 2, Episode 20, Weirdmaggedon Part 3: Take Back the Falls) Obviously, the Axolotl is quite powerful. When Dipper and Mabel meet him, he tells them both that he can ask him. Mabel asks what he is, to which he answers that he is an Axolotl. Dipper asks what he knows about Bill Cipher, and he tells him the poem at the top. 

Now after reading this a few times, I noticed some problems. The first problem, the line "Misses home, can't return" Bill says in Weirdmaggedon Part 3 Take Back the Falls (Gravity Falls Season 2, Episode 3), "Flat minds in a flat world with flat dreams. I liberated my dimension" and shows a flat planet on fire. But, I'll talk about the fire part later. If Bill truly did destroy his dimension, why would he miss it? The whole point of him (so we think) is to find a new dimension! 

The next problem is the line "Blame the arson for the fire." The word here is blame. If Bill was the one who burned his dimension, why would he have to be blamed? Another problem I have is the use of the third line "Saw his whole dimension burn" Not "made his whole dimension burn," which could have worked. He said saw, implying that Bill was but a bystander.

 Finally, my last problem with the poem is the last few lines. "If he wants to shirk the blame, he'll have to invoke my name. One way to absolve his crime, a different form, a different time." Some of those words are... interesting to say the least. Shirk the blame. Shirk the blame. Why would Bill need to shirk the blame, if it was him who burned his dimension? Again, in Weirdmaggedon 3: Take Back the Falls Bill says "I liberated my dimension" (Gravity Falls Season 2, Episode 20.) He's admitting to it. Why does he need to shirk the blame? 

But, we're forgetting one thing, Bill is insane. "Sure I am. What's your point?" (Bill Cipher responding to Gideon Gleeful calling him insane. Gravity Falls Season 1, Episode 19) The dictionary definition for insane is "in a state of mind which prevents normal perception, behavior, or social interaction; seriously mentally ill." (Oxford Languages on Google) In a state of mind that prevents normal perception. This could mean that Bill thinks that he did something that he didn't, especially if he has been blamed for it by countless people.

 Nobody actually knows why Bill went insane, but I think I've figured it out. Bill became insane after watching a member of his family destroy his home, along with the rest of his dimension. And that member is his brother, William Cipher. Wait, you may be saying. Bill doesn't have a brother! And what do you mean his family was destroyed? Does he even HAVE a family? Actually, yes.