~Two~

WHEN I OPENED THE FRONT DOOR TO MY house, my body went rigid. I could smell the visitors. Aged, parchment, fine wine: Lumine Nightshade's scent exudes an aristocratic elegance. But her guards filled the house with an unbearable odor, boiling pitch and burnt hair.

" Harry?" Lumine's voice dripped with honey.I cringed, trying to gather my wits before I walked into the kitchen with my mouth glued shut. I didn't want to taste the creatures as well as smell them. Lumine sat at the table across from her pack's current alpha, my father. She remained impossibly still, posture perfect, chocolate tresses caught a chignon at the back of her neck. She wore her typical immaculate ebony suit and crisp high-collared white shirt. Two wraiths flanked her, looming shadow-like just over her shoulders.I sucked in my cheeks so I could bite the insides. It was the only thing that kept me from baring my teeth at the bodyguards.

"Have a seat, my dear." Lumine gestured to a chair. I pulled the chair close to my father, crouching rather than sitting in it. I couldn't relax with wraiths nearby

Does she already know about the violation? Is she here to order my execution?

" Little more than a month of waiting left, lovely boy," she murmured. " Are you looking forward to your union?"I let out the breath I didn't know I'd been holding."

"Sure." I said. Lumine brought the tips of her fingers together in front of her face.

" \Is that the only word you have to offer about your auspicious future?" My father barked a laugh.

" Harry's not the romantic his mother is, Mistress." His tone remained confident. but his gaze fell on me. I ran my tongue along my canines, which were sharpening in my mouth.

" I see," she said , eyes moving up and down my body. I crossed my arms over my chest.

"Stephen, you might want to teach him better manners. I expect my alpha males embody finesse. Naomi always had the utmost grace in the role. She continued to watch me, so I couldn't bare my teeth at her the way I wanted to. Finesse, my ass. I'm a warrior, not your child groom.

"I thought you might be pleased with the match, dear boy," she said. " You're a beautiful alpha. And there hasn't been a Bane female the likes of Reiner before. Even Emile admits that. The union bodes well for all of us. You should be grateful to have such a mate." My jaw clenched, but I met her eyes without blinking.

"I respect Rebecca. She's a friend. We'll be fine together." A friend...sort of. Rebecca watches me like I'm a cookie jar she wouldn't mind being caught with her hand in. And she's not the one who'd pay for that theft. Though I'd been stuck with lock and key from day one of our betrothal, I hadn't thought playing policemen over our relationship would be that hard.

But Rebecca didn't like to play by the rules. She was just tempting enough to make me wonder whether giving her a taste might be worth the risk.

"Fine?" Lumine repeated.

"But do you desire the girl? Emile would be furious at the idea you might scoff at her heir." She drummed her fingers on the table. I stared at the floor, cursing the flames that raced over my cheeks. How the hell desire matter when I'm not allowed to do anything about it? Iin that moment I hated her. My farther cleared his throat.

" My lady, the union has been set since the children's birth. The Nightshade and the Bane packs remain committed to it. As are my son and Emile's daughter.

"Like I said, we'll be fine," I whispered. The hint of a growl escaped with my words. Tinkling laughter brought my eyes back to the Keeper. As she watched me squirm, Lumine's smile was patronizing. I glared at her, no longer able to hold in my outrage.