i will wait [ts]

requested by jackskellingtonrulz5

a/n: a bit of context. post endgame & post blip but obviously tony lived. also because i am forever a diehard swiftie, feel free to replace the taylor mentions with your own favorite artist. much love <3

"well I came home like a stoneand I fell heavy into your armsthese days of dust which we've knownwill blow away with this new sun"- i will wait, mumford and sons

and I fell heavy into your arms
these days of dust which we've known
will blow away with this new sun"
- i will wait, mumford and sons

Walking up the stone path to your own house had never been more surreal.

Returning from the Blip was wild from the moment you blinked and found yourself standing in a Wakandan field, uniform still tattered and arms smeared with sweat and dirt. However, there was a strong lack of aliens trying to tear you and the others apart. The battle-scorched ground no longer held evidence of soot and fire, what had once been blue and red blood-stained dirt was now full and luscious grass. All you had done was blink and now there you stood, in the exact same spot five years later. It gave you a new sense of empathy for Bucky and Steve, never truly being able to grasp how it must feel to be so out of time. Now you had a small taste, and needless to say, you didn't envy them in the slightest.

You'd expected to either find the house was no longer yours or find the flowers and greenery you'd put so much time into wilted and crumbling into faded brown leaves. However, it was just as you remembered. The bushes were a lush green and the leaves full of life, the flowers tall and freshly pruned. They were vibrant as ever and truly looked even better than you left them. You felt your boyfriend's hand press into the small of your back as he led you up the path and towards the front door, pulling the keys from his pocket. Ever since you'd returned, Tony was always touching you in some way or form. Whether it be holding hands, legs brushing, or a hand in your hair, he always kept you within arm's length. As if he was your tether, and if he let go you'd float away from him forever. It was really the only sign you had that he was affected by you being gone. Obviously he'd kissed the life out of you when you were both reunited and he'd told you how much he'd missed you, but other than that he'd seemed perfectly fine. You were one of the lucky ones who didn't have the misfortune of coming home to find their partners married to someone else, and in fact found numerous tabloids commenting on how the once playboy seemed to of not even breathed in the direction of another since you'd disappeared. You stepped onto a creaking wooden stare only to look over and find a wooden swing hanging, one that had certainly not been there when you'd left that morning.

"I hope you don't mind, I kept up with things while you were on your little vacation." Tony teased softly as he unlocked the door before looking at the swing, moving to wrap his arm around your shoulders. "What do you think?"

"Vacation, right." His comment earned him a good-natured eye roll that always brought a grin to his lips, knowing you loved his witty comments almost as much as he did. "It's beautiful Tony, where'd you get it?" You smiled back at him before reaching out to touch the chain it hung from, it was stained a beautiful cream color with (favorite color) throw pillows arranged.