Jack as an older brother

Modern au

Holly's pov:

It was my turn to leave. Every day, we would wait by the door with the teacher and point out our parents or carers to her.

"Have a lovely day, Lily! Well done today!" Mrs Aptum called out as Lily went to her mother.

As I walked out of school, I scanned the playground for my older brother, Jack. He always picked me up since our parents don't bother trying anymore.

I quickly found him. He was on his phone, chatting away with somebody.

I pointed him out to my teacher and she let me go.

"Great work today, Holly! I can't wait to see you tomorrow!"

"Bye, Mrs Aptum!" I hugged her and ran over to Jack.

He had hung up by this point and was putting his phone in his pocket. I giggled and ran into his arms. He picked me up and kissed my cheek, holding me tight.

"How was school?" He asked, walking out the gate.

"It was good. We did drawing, colouring, counting and played smiley faces" I told him.

"What's smiley faces?" Jack questioned.

"Everyone has to smile and behave" I explained, happy that I had played by the rules in class.

"What happens if someone doesn't play correctly?" My brother inquired.

"They get into trouble" I giggled, remembering how Jamie Odan had misbehaved and been shouted at.

Jack brought me home and put me down in front of the door. He rang the doorbell and we waited for someone to answer.

Our mum soon opened the door, and she looked angry.

"What?" She demanded.

"Hi, mum. Just taking Holly back from school since you didn't seem to bother" Jack explained, placing a hand on my shoulder.

"Find. Get in, Holly" mum pushed me in the door and slammed it in Jack's face.

Jack's pov:

I sighed as the door banged shut. I felt bad walking away, but it was best for her. If I pursued after my little sister, all I would do is argue with my parents. I didn't want Holly to see that.

Gloomily, I walked back to the care home where I had been placed in.

When social services came to the house, mum his my sister to avoid losing her.

On the way there, I decided to take a detour. Up this big hill. It had a monument on top and a play park.

I remembered taking Holly there. I would push her on the swing and she would laugh. Sometimes Race would pretend to be scared of her, and try to run across without her hitting him.

There was also this nice place by the sea. It was all steep and the waves were crazy. You could either clamber over rocks or take the safer route, a flat path. I chose the path.

It was peaceful. I always went there whenever I had to clear my head. Nobody was ever there to disturb me, and if there was, they'd be scared off by my arrival. My depressed appearance was enough to frighten anyone.

I soon decided that I had left it long enough. It was time to go back to the house.

In no hurry, I sauntered back.

I arrived at the home and entered.

"Jack! There you are! I was just telling everyone else that we've got a new resident coming. It's quite a last-minute thing for us, so we don't know much about her. Only that she's very young" Denton caught me as I was on my way to my room.