003

THE POLLYWOG

BREYA AWAKES TO the sun shining into her room through her window, making her groan a bit as she rolls over, opening her eyes. She lays in bed for a minute thinking about the events of Halloween night.

She likes Max. She knows it. But Max doesn't like her back. Max won't like her back. Unless Max does. Who knows? (the author)

She groans once more, throwing her sheets off her and standing up. She gets ready for the day ahead of her.

It was going to be a long day.

LUCAS, MAX, AND Breya walked together down the halls of Hawkins Middle School discussing the events of Halloween.

"I still don't get why they call him 'zombie boy'." Max told the two, "I mean, I get it, he was lost in the woods for a week or something, but why is he a zombie? Because everybody thought he was dead?"

"I mean, yeah." Breya slightly answers.

"We had a funeral and everything." Lucas adds on to Breya's incomplete answer.

"After a week?" Max questions, confused.

"Well, you see, some other kid drowned at the quarry. We thought it was Will because his body was super decomposed." Lucas explains.

"What?" Max stops to turn and look at Lucas, "Okay, that's not funny."

"It's not a joke." Breya defends, Max turning to look at her straight in the eyes.

Oh, how Breya loves those eyes.

"It's public knowledge." Lucas states, making Max turn away to look at him instead of Breya, "You can ask anybody."

"Except Will," Breya cuts in, Max turning back to look at her, "he's really sensitive about it, okay?"

Max nods slightly before giving a clear answer, "Okay,"

Breya and Max walk to their lockers, leaving Lucas behind to go to his own locker. Since Max wasn't looking, Breya took the opportunity to admire Max's features once more.

Once Breya looked back, Max did the same.

Max didn't know what was happening to her. Max never thought she was gay. But this girl. This girl was different. She felt a different way with Breya. But she could never tell her.

Breya slammed her locker shut and walked off to her class, Max snapping back to reality and doing the same, walking the same way as Breya since they have the same first period.