i. a new beginning

╭ ╮
𝗖𝗵𝗮𝗽𝘁𝗲𝗿 𝗢𝗻𝗲
A NEW BEGINNING

╰ ╯

╰                                        ╯

GOTHAM CITY, NJ DIAMOND DISTRICT
06:14

IT seemed to be colder in Gotham. Abbey Althea's hometown was farther north, where evergreens towered over the Canadian border. But, that didn't matter, because her freezing was the kind trapped in her bones. Through the onlooking of the spectral side of the world.

Abbey had never seen so many ghosts.

Hundreds of them floated through the busy plazas and roads of the town. Some stared at her with curiosity, some with jealously. Abbey tried to ignore their burning eyes as she walked with her mother down the lengthy sidewalks. They're apartment was conveniently in Diamond district of Gotham, which happened to be one of the safer sections of city. Their were certainly less ghosts to prove it.

Abbey folded her burnt orange cardigan over her body more, letting a shiver fall down her back as she overlooked the many skyscrapers upon the horizon. It was so strange to go from seeing cows regularly to being in a literal concrete massacre of architecture with no wildlife but hungry pigeons and an occasional dog walking on a leash. To say the least, she was nearly sick from missing the blossoming irises and flowing creeks from back home.

The September air was chilly, and while it was nowhere near rainy season on the Atlantic coast, it seemed Gotham never got the memo. Dark clouds rolled overhead looking menacing and cold. "I didn't miss the constant rain." Her mother, Anika, imputed as her boots clacked against the limestone.

Abbey loved her mother more than anything. Anika was all she really had, as her father was long gone and out of the picture. Anika never spoke of him, and Abbey liked it that way, it made things easier between the mother and daughter. Abbey had received nearly all of the same features as her mom. A strong nose, dark and inky eyes, and hair that shone so black it looked like liquid shadows. Abbey's skin was lighter than her mother's, yet she still proudly displayed the russet color of her indigenous roots.

"Is it like this all the time?" Abbey asked, her bare fingers wrapped under her arms, hoping to get some heat to retain. Anika smiled softly, looking up at the sky. "All the time." She confirmed and Abbey nearly groaned.

"Do you have everything you need?" Anika asked as she carried the a large paper bag of school supplies. Abbey was starting school at Gotham Academy tomorrow, her mother insisted that she go to private school, because it had less people, and more career opportunities. Even if it was a huge chunk of change to be enrolled, Anika did not budge from the decision.

"Yes. I have enough." A tinge of sorrow escaped her voice and her mother seemed to catch on. She stopped in the middle of the sidewalk, placing a hand on her daughter's shoulder. "Listen, this won't be like back home. No one knows you here. All you have to do is keep all the paranormal business tucked away and you'll be fine. The kids won't do what they did to you back home."