Chapter One

"Every debt has its debtor, every injustice has its perpetrator."

This was Xaloc's firm belief. Every gratitude must be repaid and every debt must be reciprocated, not a cent more and not a dime less.

It was due to this principle that Xaloc felt uneasy anytime he visited his grandfather's grave.

One could argue that his uneasiness came from the location of the grave. His grandfather had been buried on top of a hill in the middle of a small forest. It was a cold, silent place excusing the occasional animal noises.

Xaloc did not believe that the location of the grave was the source rather it was the symbolic meaning of the grave. It was a representative of death, the one element that shreds his principles without remorse.

Debt, victim, remorse, regret, gratitude. All these heavy-sounding words are nothing before death.

It was very early in the morning and the sun had not made an appearance yet. Cold winds blew by, causing the youth to button up his school cardigan to the fullest.

He reduced the volume of the music blasting from the headset; he bowed low before the headstone and placed his school bag on the ground.

With slow and almost reverent movements, Xaloc lit a sweet-smelling incense next to the grave. He proceeded to throw again the old flowers he had placed next to the headstone the last time he visited and replaced them with new ones.

White poppy flowers. Those were his grandfather's favourite flowers. His grandmother always said that it was her favourite as well but Xaloc knew that she was lying. Her favourite was the moon rose. His grandmother lied about a lot of things.

His grandfather's grave was a very simple grave considering how wealthy his family is. There was no eulogy or obituary carved, just a white headstone with the words; Husband, Father, and Grandfather all written in a vertical line.

As he tidied around, he spoke of the details that happened last year as if the man was standing before him.

"Dad's company entered the list of

Top 100 in Emerald City so to celebrate he cleared your old home and built a museum above it. Yes, I know, it is very disrespectful."

"Mom had a safe delivery. It is twins again. Their names are Orson and Oscar. Two boys. They are growing up well."

"Maya and Mason are doing well. They have stopped falling sick sporadically." It is probably something that grandma did, Xaloc wanted to say but stopped. "Mason is attending the middle school of my high school. Dad would drop him off today. Maya joined a ballet school, I don't know why. She has this belief that it would go well. I wish her luck."

"Grandma travelled again. I have not seen her all year. She is probably doing those things that you guys quarrelled a lot about. She…" His voice was low, almost as if he was praying as words incessantly fell from them.

"Is he mentally alright.? A voice that was as sweet as a lark asked. Over a thousand meters above Xaloc floated two ladies.

One was a graceful beauty with eight limbs and black stones for eyes. The other was a middle-aged woman with a full face and a gentle but strange smile, there was a wreath of stars placed on her brows.

" I would not be surprised. With the amount of inbreeding, you Greeks have done, it would truly be odd if you all are not mentally insane."

Nyx did not pay her any attention. If not for the Ragnarok would someone as distinguished as her stand in the same sphere as an unknown goddess from the Japanese? She just watched her grandson perform his yearly visitation rites.