Night Family

Xaloc was already near the dining room when he heard his mother yell his name.

"Coming!' He replied. His grandmother had probably arrived. He changed his direction to the living room. 

The parlor was near the entrance corridor and had more of a family room setting while the dining room was closer to the kitchen.

Xaloc opened the door and entered. His grandmother Nyx sat gracefully on the sofa.

There was a regality to all her movements that made her story of being a simple country girl very cheeky. He looked like his grandmother the most.

Both of them had silky black hair and black eyes. His grandmother's eyes were darker than his. There was something about the colour of her eyes that reminded him of a starless sky in the pitch darkness of the night.

" Grandma. Good evening. How have you been?"

Nyx smiled warmly at him. "Xaloc dear. Did you add a few inches since the last time I saw you? You look even more handsome."

"I did not grow taller, grandma." He moved to sit beside her on the sofa.

Maya had been seemingly entertaining her grandma with one of the moves that she had learnt at school. Mason was telling Nyx his very eventful and exciting first day at school.

The twins, Orson and Oscar stood in their crib as they watched her with babyish enthusiasm, occasionally making noises to get her attention. It was as if they were drawn to her.

Xaloc did not blame them. Even sitting right next to her, it was as if she had a scent on her that was very delicious.

"How have you been?" Nyx asked Xaloc.

"Good. What about you, grandma? Are you still travelling or have you found a place to settle?" 

His grandmother had always been a traveller, even when his grandfather was still around, she left and she returned at the most irregular times. It had only gotten worse after his death. Nowadays, they were lucky if they saw her once a year. 

If it was not for the twins' occasional relapse, she would probably not have returned for the last two years.

Nyx smiled at her, she had a worn expression on her face.

"I am no longer travelling."

"Oh! That's good." Xaloc did not pay particular attention to her words. His grandmother lied a lot.

"Grandma! Grandma! See, my jar of spiders, they are over a hundred." Mason, who felt a little angry, proceeded to show off his collection.

Maya also could not be outdone, she gave her brother a disgusted look as she ran out of the living room to present her ballet shoes that had been photographed by Lily Voiton, her favourite ballet dancer.

Xaloc just leaned back on the chair. Not having the regular weight around his neck felt a little off to him. The headset had grown to be a high part and parcel of him.

But at night, he did not need it. At night, he could control his urge to sleep. A small smile played on his lips. He could also have a good night's sleep. 

He could not wait to be done with the family meal so he could return to the room and sleep. His heart beat faster in excitement and anticipation.

"Wow. Everyone is so excited today. Can someone tell me what happened? Did Santa Claus come to visit?" The mature and composed looking man walked in, with a slight smile as he asked.

"Daddy!" Maya and Mason called out in unison running to hug him. Even the other twins Orson and Oscar made grabby hands to their father.

Felix was well-practised. He lifted each one of them up in the air before giving them a large kiss.

"It is not Christmas. Santa Claus can not come during Autumn."

"You are right. I forgot. Maya, hope you were good today."

Maya had always been the more adventurous of the twins. Compared to her younger brother who was comfortable with a jar of spiders or any other small bugs; Maya always got in trouble when they were at school.

"Of course. The teacher did not call you?" She sneakily asked.

He looked at his children and a smile floated on his lips. He caressed Maya's face and said, "She did not. Remember, if you get into any fight, then you will not have deserts for a month."

Maya raised her five fingers to heaven in a swear. Felix chuckled and pecked both twins' heads before stepping towards the sofa.

"Mom!" He greeted Nyx with a peck on her cheeks. "Hope you are alright."

"You are back. How was work today? I wanted to branch at the office but I decided against it. They might not be too happy to see me."

Felix laughed loudly, "Well you did sell father's shares to outsiders. It has been so long, I am sure they have already forgotten about that."

He patted Xaloc's hair, "How about you? Hope school was good today."

"It was."

His answer made the man give him a fond smile and ruffled his hair once more before stepping out to see his wife in the kitchen.

Felix Night was not like many of the second-generation CEOs that Xaloc heard about from his classmates. He was neither a cold machine nor a wastrel playboy.

He was an affectionate family man. While Xaloc was young, he could remember going everywhere with his father and playing so many games with me.

His father would carry him on his head and tuck him to sleep. But after the twins' first relapse, ever since that first surgery, whenever his father had patted his head, his hands shook terribly.

Xaloc felt that it was very funny. The victim was not even complaining and yet the preparator was feeling guilty. Besides, it was not even a victim/ preparator relationship, it was a deal.

Nyx watched the father and son before her lips curved into a happy and content smile. It was good this way too.

Attachments were a problem. She had lived a very long life and that was something she had learnt with pain.

Be it family, friends, love, loyalty, hatred, or patriotism, all these attachments were chains capable of dragging down a person.

Someone like Xaloc who could detach them without a moment's thoughts was precious to her.

"Dinner is ready!" Karen's voice rang from the kitchen.

For a second, Xaloc looked at his grandma. He had that feeling again. The feeling that danger was coming.