Chapter 22: Finn

Chapter 22: Finn

I storm through the door of the grounder lair, followed by several others. Bellamy: he has the spear to puncture the coal with. Octavia: she has the guns and other weapons. Jasper: he's the lookout. Monty: the person who's telling us what to do next. Lincoln: to catch the grounders off guard. Zak: the trade, and technically the key to this plan.

And then there's me: the one who's rescuing Clarke.

It's a shame Raven couldn't come with us. She would just slow us down with her leg, so we decided to leave her looking after Harper.

"Listen up, Beth!" I shout. There isn't anyone to be seen, but I know they're hiding. "We have Zak, and if you don't hand over Clarke then you'll pay with your lives."

Jasper chuckles behind us, which results in a shove from Monty.

"What?" Jasper questions. "We're killing them anyway no matter what."

I step forward tentatively, wondering if and when they're going to strike. I'm sure at least one of them has a trick or two up their sleeve.

I draw the knife from my belt and hold it forward in case one of them attacks me.

"Sky People!" a girl shouts, who I assume is Beth. Beth stumbles forward from the room in front of us with a couple of other girls. "We have Clarke."

"Then hand her over," Bellamy says. "And we'll give you Zak."

I nod in agreement.

"As you wish," Beth says with a smirk. There's got to be a catch. "Lucy, get the Sky Girl."

The blonde girl disappears back into the room and shortly returns with Clarke.

"Finn!" Clarke shouts, her eyes lighting up. I feel elated after seeing her now, even though she looks terrible. Her clothes are stained with blood and the skin is peeling away on her cheek and arm. Maybe the fog somehow got to her, so it could be radiation.

"Give us Zak," the other girl says, her silver-blue eyes piercing.

"No," Octavia says. "You give us Clarke first, so we know you don't have any tricks."

Beth sighs. "Breik em op," she says in a language I don't understand.

Lucy pushes Clarke forward and she runs into my arms. Tears stream down her face and she sobs into my shoulder.

"Clarke," I whisper. It feels strange to hold her after so long.

"Yeah?" she asks.

"Sorry, it just feels good to say your name with you actually being here." I smile and hug her tighter.

"I love you, Finn."

"I love you, Clarke."

Clarke looks up at me and grins gleefully. Then she glances over at Zak and glares. She walks over to him and punches him in the jaw.

"Ow!" he shouts and goes to hit her back.

She ducks quickly and kicks him in the balls. Suddenly, she wraps her hands around his neck and the back of his hand and twists.

And he falls to the floor, just like that. Dead.

"Jomp em op!" Beth shouts, taking her sword from her sheath and pointing it at us. I grab Clarke and everyone starts running. When we get outside, I look at Clarke sternly.

"Why did you kill Zak?" I ask her.

"All the grounders deserve to die, and I was starting with him," she says plainly.