Chapter One

The cracks in the blinds allowed the sunlight in, making my black locks appear dark brown. I was awake but kept my eyes closed.

" Florença, levante-se!" My mom called. I checked my alarm clock and it was 7:24 A.M. I had less than 40 minutes to get ready.

The door opened and I immediately sat up. "Florence, vá tomar banho agora. Eles estão nos esperando em breve!" I nodded, "Sim Mãe." I sighed and got up, my hair was a fucking mess. I wanted to get it braided before but I didn't even know this whole thing was even happening.

It wasn't my fault- my mom announced that my childhood best friend was coming back to town from college for summer break less than two weeks ago. His family invited us over for breakfast along with some other friends and family members.

Why didn't they choose dinner time? I don't know.
I was a little pissed, I had just bought this beautiful silky orange dress that fit me like a glove that I would love to show off but it wouldn't be appropriate for breakfast.

I decided to put my curly hair in a bun and left some strands out to give it a messy but neat look.
I wore an ankle-long floral sundress.
It was baby blue with small darker shades of blue flowers on it.

It was that puffy sleeve cleavage cut dress with buttons that started under the cleavage and cascaded down where it met a slit.
"Florença! Você é um lindo bebê." Said, my mom.
I smiled at her, "Obrigado mãe, você é linda."
She pecked me on my forehead and called my sister down.

"Florence you can go wait outside." I nodded and decided it would be better than hearing my mom argue with Lorena who was downstairs.
She hates going out and I couldn't blame her.
The only reason I was going was so I could please my mom and Mr. and Mrs. Filo.
And also because Adonis would be there.

It's crazy to think it's been five years. It doesn't seem like a lot he left right before his junior year of high school.
And now he was here.
Here as in next door.
As I sat down on the bench swing in the backyard I watched their house.

It finally kicked in that He was here.

He was finally here and I would be talking to him.
After five fucking years.
I watched their kitchen as the curtains were open.
I identified a shadow as Helen. Picking up a vase of flowers and walking into the backyard, placing it in the middle of the table.

Their backyard was huge, Adonis and I would always sneak back there at night and stargaze, drinking in the moonlight.

They had a huge patio where the table was. It was decorated with hanging lights and a cover that opened and closed with a button.
They were rich but spent their money well.
They were quite humble.
There was a matching tire swing to ours on the tree, just behind the table.

I watched as Evan, Adonis's dad, walked into the backyard placing folded napkins on the plates.
He called out to someone.
Adonis.
A part of me wanted to get up and leave but I was glued to the swing.
My body forgot how to function and my eyes wouldn't blink.
And there he was.

His brown hair was curlier than when we were in school.
He used to hate his curls, I remember just how damaged they were from all the straightening.
His parents always tried to remind him they were his grandfather's curls.
After he died I noticed he stopped.

I watched as he spoke to his father, arranging wine glasses.
He wore a simple black t-shirt with black trousers.
I tried not to stare too hard, afraid he could feel my gaze.
Even though we both had fences, they weren't that high.

"Florença? It's time to go!" I heard Lorena call and immediately walked to the front yard.
"What were you doing?" My mom asked.
"Just admiring the view."
"Okay, well we don't want to be late."
This was a first.