Chapter 28

Midnight was just around the corner by now, and Julie and Steve were wide awake on the floor of his bedroom, laying on their sides and staring into each other's eyes.

They insisted on Dustin taking Steve's bed, which he didn't fight against, and Steve pinched some sheets from his parents bedroom, leading them here. Their bodies were in line with the length of the wide bed, both dressed in Steve's pyjamas, and their minds were lost in the high that had taken affect after their bowl of popcorn reached the halfway mark.

The room was deadly silent. Dustin wasn't snoring. At most, they could hear each other breathing, and even then that was a peaceful sound.

"I meant what I said to Dustin about falling in love," Steve said softly.

She searched his eyes.

"I'm in love with you, Jules."

Her lips picked up into a smile. "You're high."

"I knew it!"

The teenagers on the ground winced. Julie uttering a gentle, "Ow," whilst Steve groaned slightly, sure that his ears were ringing.

"That's what all the giggling was about!"

"So loud," Julie whined.

"Yeah, stop yelling, man," Steve's face contorted.

Dustin, also in Steve's pyjamas, was sitting upright and glaring down at them. "I should have known the second you guys said the Michael Myers music sounds like wriggling fingers, even if it is sort of true." He sounded like a stern mother telling off a child.

"Henderson," Steve warned steadily. "Go to sleep."

"And listen to you guys confess your love to each other whilst you're high on crack."

Steve rolled onto his back, sheepishly smiling. "I don't do drugs. It's only marijuana."

"They're in the brownies," Julie whispered mischievously.

Everything in Dustin collapsed, and the horror was written across every inch of his face. "That's why I couldn't eat them."

"And it's a good job you didn't because you'd be like us," she told him, "and you don't wanna be like us."

Steve hummed in agreement at first, but quickly wavered. "Well, it is kind of fun to be like us. The floor is falling."

Julie gasped. "You feel it, too!"

"Oh crap," Dustin muttered fearfully to himself.

Julie continued, looking Steve straight in the eye, "It's like the ground is moving really slowly beneath us."

"Exactly!" Steve ignited, until his smile suddenly dropped. "But we're not moving."

"No."

They both laughed into each other like they had discovered the most hilarious thing in the world, her hand resting on his arm as his head burying itself in her shoulder.

It was until Dustin started muttering to himself, that Steve noticed he was pacing back and forth across the room.

"Oh crap, oh crap, oh crap."

Steve's eyes followed him, and he whispered, just quietly enough that Julie could hear, "He's pacing."

"Why is he pacing?" Julie whispered back.

"Yeah, why are you pacing?" Steve rose his voice.

But Dustin didn't stop, speaking and making emphatic gestures with his hands all the while. "Hypothetically, someone induced a special brownie in the middle of the night and that certain someone was a little on the younger side. What would happen?"