Chapter Two

"You must be Y/N Stark,"

"In the flesh," I raised an eyebrow. It was rare for someone who wasn't an Avenger to come to one of these dinners, let alone someone I'd never met before.

"Sam Wilson," He introduced himself and offered a handshake. I smiled at him, and shook his hand. He seemed like a genuine person, helpful, and Steve seemed to trust him which was always a good sign. I swear, that guy had some kind of sixth sense for trusting the right people.

"Nice to meet you, Sam," I said politely before I turned to the rest of the group. "Are we ready to head up then?" I wasn't sure why everyone was still hanging out down here, we had an abundance of food (and drinks!) upstairs.

"We were just waiting for-" Steve began but was cut off by a door opening loudly and a voice even harder to ignore.

"HELLO MIDGARDIANS," Thor grinned at everyone, his happiness obvious. It had been quite some time since he had seen any of us.

"Thor!" I squealed happily and ran to give him a hug. Although I loved all the other Avengers, especially Nat, Thor was my favourite. He was so easy to get along with and him and I shared a love for pop tarts.

"Lady Y/N!" Thor returned my enthusiasm and threw me over his shoulder, grinning at everyone else. "Let's go see Stark, yes?"

.................

After everyone had made their way upstairs and Thor had finally put me down, the dinner began. Everyone took their usual seats, Dad and Steve at opposite ends of the table, Mom beside Dad and Nat talking to her. Sam was sitting beside Steve, talking in hushed tones.

Although I was aware of the tension in the room, all I could focus on was the food being set in front of me. The tempting scent of dozens of different styles of culinary masterpieces made my mouth water. I couldn't wait to get my hands on something good.

I tried my best not to eavesdrop, but Steve and Sam made it quite difficult. Although I was making an effort to not listen, I heard a few re-occurring words such as 'Bucky', 'Hydra', and 'Files'.

Suddenly my dad cleared his throat, and everyone looked at him expectantly, myself included. By looking at everyone else's expressions, I could pick out who knew what was going on and who didn't. Nat, Sam, and Steve all wore the same grim expression, everyone else just looked confused.

"In light of recent events, Steve has decided to call a dinner meeting. Capsicle, care to explain?" My father asked with a raised eyebrow.

I glanced over at Steve, I wasn't able to figure out much from his expression. Sam on the other hand looked very uncomfortable.

"I'm sure you've all seen the news footage of what happened at D.C," Steve began. Everyone, except Thor, nodded or shifted in their seats uncomfortably. My father tapped his watch a few times and suddenly, hundreds of photos and videos of the ravaged city appeared. Most focused on the three large aircrafts falling to the water below. Thor looked just as confused as I felt.

"Hydra is still active," Steve announced. "SHIELD isn't who we thought they were, it was really a division of Hydra."

My dad cleared his throat before Steve could continue, "Y/N, why don't you head up to your room?"

I knew better than to try to resist. I forced a nod, "Sure." I added a few sweet looking things to my plate before I made my way towards the elevator. I deliberately made my steps as small as possible, hoping to hear a few sentences of the conversation I wasn't allowed to be a part of. I didn't hear much, but as the elevator doors closed behind me, I heard Steve say in a heartbroken tone,

"Tony, you don't get it. That's my best friend."