[ ch. 1 dream on ]

• • •

"He said to have a presentation done to present to him at dinner today, and I'm buggin' out Bon!" The frazzled blonde angrily runs her pencil in fast swipes against her notepad as she writes down her final ideas.

Bonnie, her more composed friend, smiles with a tilted head and a sympathetic look. "Haven't you had your plan in place for years? I've never seen you like this, Luce."

Lucy slowly lifts her head, her yellow and pink manicured fingers pushing a strand of blonde from her face as she sits in the middle of her bed in her silky brown pajamas with her legs crossed infront of her.

The blue eyes blonde looks at her friend's amber eyes with an anxious stare, "rule one: always be ready for an argument with Mickey and man, do I hate arguments with him. That man thinks he's always right and he is maybe average in his assumptions. It's like arguing with a damn triangle."

Bonnie walked to sit beside her friend on the bed as she chuckled, "I thought you said lunch went well yesterday, where's this coming from?"

Lucy nodded and shrugged, "honestly, the man brings it out of me. I mean, he gave me a house, says he wants to 'try', which is more than I'm used to with him. I've just never measured up for him, man wanted a son and instead he got an angry blonde with an ivy league education."

Bonnie rubbed her friend's back gently to sooth her, "don't be a bunny, you're also foxy." The pair giggled on the bed as Bonnie flirted with her roommate unapologetically, as always.

"He should be happy to have such a fab daughter," she added with a knowing look at her friend.

Lucy gave her a half smile before focusing back on her notepad, "yet here I am already swallowing my words with him. I never want to become who he wants me to, Bon. He said he would be 'willing to listen over a business lunch' but that's the only moment we spoke of me, of my goals. I hate that he still intimidates me, I have a damn degree. Agh."

The older friend scoffed and shook her head, her chestnut locks in loose curls falling in a bounce. "You've been thinking about this for years, Lucy. You always throw the grooviest parties and gatherings. The man seems like a chump, every argument you've heard this far never stood a chance, this is no different...Oh, and wear the brown dress with stripes, foxy and professional."

Lucy chuckled and nodded, taking in a deep breath and looking into her friend's beautiful eyes before focusing on her fidgeting hands again. "I guess if he decides against helping me, I get a gig until I find some other way to get people talking about my parties. I've made it this long without anyone but my best girl," Lucy nudged her friend with a beaming smile.

The blonde pops up from the bed, her barefoot meeting the soft royal blue shag rug, before she starts in on her closet to find the light brown dress with beige stripes and lime green threading. As she digs in her closet shves, her icy blue eyes widen, noticing the lime green short ankle go go booties she found at the thrift store the day before she left Rhode Island, she grabbed her favorite abstract green flat circle earrings with three shades of green. She laid the outfit across her white quilt with daisies in purple, yellow, and orange. As she started to fix her hair into the straight look she knew her dad always preferred, her skin crawled at the sheer thought of styling herself for any man, let alone her father.

Truthfully, the hopeful twenty-two year old knew deep down that she needed the extra sureness when she'd ask the man impossible to please to help her with something so life changing.

Bonnie smiles at her friend and takes a step toward Lucy as she stared at her reflection. Bonnie moves to stand behind her and smiles through the mirror at her best friend, "good vibes, baby. This is all you, look him in the eye and remember you did it all without his help, every bit of it is Lucy. Girl, you don't even need him with that pretty face."