Chapter 12

Francisca's POV

"Francisca? What is this that I hear about you not being at school?" Matt says on the phone, he sounds pissed.

I gulp and glance at Dan nervously with a nervous smile.

"How did you know I wasn't at school?" I ask.

I hear a sharp inhale on the other side of the phone and hold my breath. I'm definitely not gonna get ungrounded any time soon.

"The school called when you didn't show up to any of your classes! What is going on with you Francisca? This is unlike you. Are you in some kind of trouble? Does this have anything to do with you're so called secret?" Matt sounded annoyed, frustrated, worried.

"No trouble Matt I promise." I say.

"Where are you? I'll come and get you." Matt says.

"No no" I say quickly, "you don't have too, i'm going back to school now!"

"Where. Are. You?" He says.

I gulp again, Matt can be really scary when he wants to be.

I tell him exactly where I am, which is like some blocks away from the school.

After that I hang up and turn back to Dan.

"Sooooo, I'm guessing that didn't go too well?" Dan asks.

I shake my head and sigh.

"He is um he said he is coming to get me now." I say.

Dan nods.

"Should I- should I leave?" Dan asks.

And I don't know, should he leave? I mean I don't know if I'm ready for him and Matt to meet but....I guess I'm trying not to hide things and not lie to Matt anymore, and If I know anything about myself, is that if Matt asks about me skipping school, and he will, I'll probably come up with another lie, since it's something that I apparently do pretty easily now.

I take a deep breath.

"Would you be okay if you stayed?" I asked Dan.

He had a surprised look on his face, he definitely expected me to send him on his way, but I guess...I guess I'm just really exhausted from having to lie to Matt. If Matt finds out what's happening now, then part of my goals are over.

Like ripping off a bandaid.

Dan nods and just then, Matt's car comes into view and stops right in front of us.

Matt quickly gets out of the car towards me.

Once he reaches me, he does something unexpected. He hugs me.

Which is a relief I thought that he's be super mad.

Matt breaks the hug to get a good look at me.

"Are you okay? Are you hurt?" He asks looking concerned.

I shake my head no.

He sighs and then as if he was noticing Dan was there for the first time, he looks at him.

"And you are?"