Summertime

ROBIN'S POV

I'm sitting alone in my room, thumbing through old books as I try to cure my boredom. I have nothing to do today since I'm not working. Steve is hanging out with his latest girlfriend, and he's really the only person I hang out with. 

Nancy and I spent time together after spring break, but since the summer rolled around she's been busy. Sometimes I really hate my inability to keep friends. I miss Nancy so much, I just don't want to seem too eager to see her all the time. 

I groan and fall back onto my bed, "GAH!"

The only response to my utter anguish is silence. Maybe I should just call Nancy, what's the worst that could happen? She says no, and then goes to college, and we never speak again! I'm overthinking this. Call her Robin. Just do it. 

"I'm going to do it," I say to no one.

I get off my bed and go to the phone, dialing her house's number and biting my fingernails as I anxiously wait for someone to pick up.

"Hi, this is Nancy," I hear through the phone.

I gather up all my courage, "Hey Nance, it's Robin. I was wondering maybe if you were free we could hang out? No pressure though, I understand if you're busy. I don't want you to feel bad if-"

"When and where?" Nancy interrupts me.

A huge smile spreads across my face, "I was thinking we could get ice cream or something?"

"Ok, don't bring money- I want to pay," Nancy says.

"No, no- you don't have to do that, I have money."

"I insist."

"I have a feeling you'd hold a gun to my head if I tried to pay so I'll let you pay," I tell her, laughing a little.

"Guns? ME? Never." she says sarcastically.

"When do you want to meet for ice cream?"

"In like half an hour?"

"Sounds good!!!" I say excitedly.

"It's a date then."

I pause for a second, "A date?"

She ignores me, "See you in 30, Robin."

Then she hangs up, leaving me utterly confused. 

A DATE?!?!? Like a friend date? Is that a thing? Am I going on a date with Nancy Wheeler?

I walk to the ice cream place, it isn't Scoops Ahoy but it's still good.

NANCY'S POV

I sit at a picnic table, my leg bouncing up and down due to my nerves. I see Robin nearing the ice cream place and raise my hand in greeting. She responds with a smile and an enthusiastic wave that makes my heart flutter.

"Hey Nance!" she says before sitting next to me on the bench.

"Hey yourself," I respond before cringing at my words. HEY YOURSELF? What possessed me to say something so idiotic? She doesn't seem to notice, her eyes squinting as she tries to read the flavors sign. 

"Can we go closer? The words are hard to read."

I nod before maneuvering off the bench, "Sure, of course we can." I extend my hand to Robin to assist her getting up, knowing her tendency to lose balance.

She takes my hand and I hoist her up, "Thanks!" she says before rushing over to get a better look at the sign. She scans it before turning to me, "I know what we should get."

The sides of my mouth curve up, "And what would that be?"

"A banana split," she says devilishly.

"Is it illegal to get them or something? Why are you making that face?"

"It's cuz they're gigantic here. Like so big one person can't handle it," she pauses, "I'm now realizing that sounded dirty, and I want you to know that was not my intention at all. I have no idea why I'd say that- anyways, do you want to split a banana split?"

I have to stop myself from bursting out in laughter, "I'll willing to do that," I respond amusedly.

After we get our food Robin and I sit back down at the picnic table, next to each other again. I'm painfully aware of our closeness. Every time our hands brush I have to use all my strength to not take hers in mine and lay a gentle kiss on it.

"Nance?"

I blink and am transported back to the reality where Robin and I are friends, "Hmm?"

"You looked like you saw God."

"I saw goddesses dancing in the clouds, Robin."

She raises an eyebrow, "Did you now?"

I give her a tight smile and go back to the ice cream, scooping a perfect bite of it along with the last bit of banana and whipped cream.

Robin looks disappointed as she pokes at the half-melted ice cream.

"What? Did you want this?" I ask her.

"No..."

"Liar!" I say before holding my spoon out to her, "You can have it."

Her face lights up, "I love you, Nancy Wheeler!" she says before taking the spoon.

I can feel my face reddening.

She finishes chewing and takes one look at the remaining melted ice cream, "Let's get out of here."

"Sounds good," I say before going to throw out the trash and once again lending Robin my hand to get up. This time she doesn't let go, instead looping her arm in mine and pulling me in the direction of a nearby pond.

There's this big willow tree that we sit under, its canopy offering us shade from the beating sun. A cool breeze makes its leaves sway ever so slightly.

We sit against the trunk, our bodies pressed up next to each other so our backs can rest on the bark etched with letters in hearts. I wish we could add one with our initials. 

In the silence Robin rests her head on my shoulder. I take her hand and play with her rings, watching the ducks swim in the water. 

Robin stops my fidgeting by firmly grasping my hand in hers, looking up at me from her relaxed position.

Her lips are the same color as the pink wildflowers that dot the grass around us.

Her eyes gaze into mine with such intensity that it feels as if the blood flowing through my veins comes to a halt, and my lungs have lost the ability to function.

I smile at her, and she returns the favor before putting her head back on my shoulder and closing her eyes. 

I won't kiss her today, I may regret it but in this moment it feels as if everything is perfect. We have left some things unsaid, things that would explain why we treat each other this way. But there seems to be an understanding that at this moment we are all the other needs.