𝐨𝐧𝐞

blair kennedythe webber's residence

blair kennedy
the webber's residence

my mom and i used to be close.

back then, when we lived in a small apartment and i was a just a kid.

my mom was going to school and my shitty fucking dad worked a town over. we didn't exactly have the money for gas so he stayed with a friend who lived in said town.

it was just me and my mom. i was in sixth grade. and when it came to friends, well, i had none. my mom was my best friend as far as i knew.

she would stay up late studying for med school, and i'd stay up with her, rewatching my disney dvds.

"go to bed, my love. you have school in the morning." she would say, looking up from her textbook and over to me.

i would shake my head vigorously, a wide smile on my face. "i wanna stay up with you, mom."

my mom wouldn't fight me on it. she'd simply smile and kiss my forehead, then she'd go back to studying and i'd go back to watching my movie.

it's a bittersweet memory for me.

especially now, sitting at the dinner table and listening to my mother's new fiancé, nicolas webber, talk about his line of work. and considering the huge smile on my mom's face, she was eating every word he said right up.

"so, blair," nicolas began, wiping his mouth with a napkin, "your mother tells me you have a love for martial arts."

i look up from my plate, looking at my mom and then at nicolas. "that's funny, my mom has yet to tell me anything about you." i send him a sarcastic grin.

"blair." my mother deadpanned, nudging me.

"am i wrong?" i quickly fire back, shooting her a glare.

nicolas watches the interaction with parted lips, flickering his gaze between us before chuckling in attempt to lighten the mood. "i'm sure she did it to protect you—"

i let out a scoff, "oh, please. save the defenses for someone actually stupid enough to believe them."

"blair! knock it off, now." i lean back in my seat, stabbing at my pasta aggressively. the room went quiet and the air turned awkward.

finally, my mom spoke up.

"you know, you and vincent have a lot in common." my mother chewed on her broccoli, pointing her fork at me and then at vincent.

i snort loudly, throwing her a look. "oh yeah? like what?" i raise a challenging brow.

i wouldn't put it past my mom to completely lie about this so that she could get me and vincent to get along.

she seemed to internally panic while trying to come up with things we have in common, and i fold my hands on the table while narrowing my eyes at her expectantly. she sends robert a look that i recognized immediately.

"well, you both enjoy martial arts." he swallowed his food, throwing me a friendly smile. i glance over at vincent, a bit thrown off but he only shrugged back at me and stuffed food in his mouth.

"yeah?" i ask but this time my question was directed to vincent himself and not his dad.

"i box and do karate." he admitted, nodding willingly while chewing slowly.

i hum, nodding along with him and stuffing a carrot in my mouth. "you?" he asks, raising a brow at me across the table.

"i box."

he nodded, and the table fell silent again.

-

"why don't you like my dad?" i look behind me, seeing vincent walk in with a plate in his hand. i roll my eyes and sigh.

"who says i don't like him?" i ask, furrowing my brows while scrubbing my plate.

he sends me a look. "c'mon blair. let's be for real now. helen keller knows you don't like him. and she's blind and deaf."

i roll my eyes, drying the plate off with a towel and placing it in the cabinet.

"so? why don't you like him?" he takes my spot in front of the sink, washing his own plate.

i shrug, leaning against the sink while crossing my arms.

"not that it's really any of your business, but excuse me if i don't go jumping into the arms of my brand new rich step-daddy after i just learned about him after a year of not knowing my mother was seeing someone." i explain bitterly, looking off to the side with narrowed eyes.

he nods and decides to stay quiet, thankfully.

"so would now be a bad time to ask you to join cobra kai?"

i spoke too soon.

i give him a cold stare, narrowing my eyes at him. "no."

"no, this wouldn't be a bad time to ask or-"

"no, i'm not joining your stupid dojo." i push myself off the counter, throwing my napkin in the trash bin.

"oh, come on. look, we could really use some female recruits and-" i cut him off with a snort.

"recruits? you make it sound like you're going to war or some shit." i laugh but it wasn't very humorous, it was more unamused as i ran a hand through my hair.

he stared at me, now unamused himself as he dropped his arms to his sides. he continued to stay silent as he dried his dish.

i'd hit a nerve.

"you know what? forget it. forget it, i'm sure sensei lawrence will find someone else." he threw his arms in the air, beginning to walk away.

i snorted at his childish behavior, "yikes, someone's not used to being told no." i pouted, using a mocking baby voice just to piss him off a little more.

i tugged on his arm to look at me.

he rolled his eyes, pulling his arm out of my grip and crossing them. "whatever, blair." he continued walking away.

he stopped at the doorway of the kitchen, turning around. "if you change your mind, we have practice later at five." and he walked away.

--
dani speaks !

this chapter is kinda just leading up to the meeting, i promise tory will come in soon. like in two chapters soon ;) also, thank you guys for the love on this book and on tiktok :((( y'all make me wanna cry <3