4

I follow the rest of the children to the Rainbow Room. As the door is opened, I'm surprised. There are small toys everywhere. Games, drawing stations, and even a chessboard on the left. It's strange, and I follow Four and her group to the corner. They sit on a couch. It's solid and stiffer than my bed. 

"What do you guys do in here?" I ask. Four laughs.

"You can do whatever in here. Most of the younger kids just play, but we use it to train our powers." She says. "Want to play something?" She asks. I shrug.

"Sure," I say. She stands up and leads me over to the corner. There's a maze set up where two metal balls are on either side.

"We have to bring them together." She says. I furrow my eyebrows.

"But how do we move them? They're behind the glass," I say. She smiles and points to her head. I finally understand what she means. 

With our powers. 

"Go!" She says. I focus my mind on the ball, but nothing happens. Her ball has already started moving upwards and around a corner. I huff and focus again, blocking out everything. I imagine the ball moving up in my mind. I imagine it going around the corner. I exert my imagination and lean forward.

It moved. 

Only slightly, but it did what I wanted. It made it around the corner and fell limp at the next. I smiled and tried to replicate it.

------

We finished the game. It took a while and Four did most of the work, but eventually, I got around the harshest corners and the metal balls met each other.

"Nice. You're really good for starting so recently. How many times have you trained?" She asks. I bite my cheek.

"Only once, and I'd hardly call it training. Papa made me crush a coke can," I say. I realize I had just called the man who had forced me into this place, Papa. 

Willingly. 

I shudder and look back at Four. She's surprised.

"Impressive," She says quietly, almost as if she was speaking to herself instead of me. I smile and we make our way back to Two and Three. They're arguing. Four starts speaking, but before she can finish her sentence, Papa opens the doors and walks through. All of them stiffen and go quiet. Papa looks around the room for a moment before making eye contact with me. I take a quick intake of breath as he walks toward me. The rest of the children go back to their playing as they realize he's not there for them. 

"Seventeen. Are you ready for training?" He asks. I look back at Four and she widens her eyes at me, surprised I haven't answered him yet.

"Yes," I say. He smiles and takes my hand, walking out of the Rainbow Room. 

I look around one last time at the children playing. One of them looks up at me. She stares until I can't see her anymore. 

As the doors close to the rainbow room, the silence engulfs me. It's quiet again and the irritable echo of Papa's shoes are back. I'm nervous, and I can hear my heart thumping. 

We don't walk for long before reaching a room. It isn't any room I've been in before. Papa opens the door and lets me in. It's plain and white, like everything else. There is a table with two chairs and a large mirror behind it. One-way glass, I'm sure. Papa takes a seat in one of the chairs, and I sit in the other.