4. A Revelation

Friday, July 31, 1970

Michael

I was sitting at my desk in my bedroom when an unmistakable voice sounded from the backyard, which I heard because of an open window.

That voice broke into a swarm of spirited giggles. "Hold on, J!" that voice—who belonged to none other than my best friend—then said. "Hold on!"

I was quick to look up and stand up from sitting. "Sunny!" I said.

I had been consumed in sketching a picture and I obviously hadn't noticed that she had arrived at my house. Without wasting another moment, I set the pen that I'd been using onto the desk, and I hurried out of the room. As a smile stretched across my face, I began racing along the hall to get to the staircase, which would lead me to her.

Sunny and I had been spending almost every day together since we'd met three weeks ago. After the night that she had shown me her magical tree, which was now our most favorite spot, we had become inseparable. We did every single thing together—from pranking my siblings to stargazing at night—and there was no one else I would've rather had by my side. I'd never been happier, and that was because of her.

I wanted to spend every moment with her. I hadn't had such fun before. I loved reuniting with her each morning beneath the rising sun, and I loved adventuring with her until the twinkling stars appeared. Each time we were apart, I counted down the time until I'd see her again. I'd been allured to her since the moment I met her, but I was now more attached to her than ever—but I didn't mind.

I wasn't permitted to do fun things most of the time because I had to work. Being in the Jackson 5 meant that I had to be recording in the studio, rehearsing performances, making guest appearances, or touring. Joseph never let me participate in the essentials of childhood that I yearned for—activities that other kids were able to do with ease. After I had met Sunny, however, she pulled me into the wondrous world of those very activities. Luckily, I was able to partake in them because the group was on a quick break from performing this summer.

Though we weren't performing, however, we did have to go to the studio because we were recording songs for our upcoming albums: Third Album and Christmas Album. Sessions were grueling at times, but I'd been quick to discover strength and inspiration in thinking about Sunny. I thought about the continuous fun, adventures, and wonders—worlds that I hadn't been part of before—that she introduced me to, and I was thus motivated to keep going so I could reunite with her sooner.

She still didn't know that I was in a famous music group. I was keeping a huge part of me from her, which often smothered me with guilt. I felt terrible when going to the studio because I had to lie to her about where I was headed. I wondered how she didn't know who my family was, but I was scared that if she actually learned, she wouldn't treat me the same. I was scared that I would no longer be Mike—her simple best friend—to her.

I wanted to keep things just the same. I wanted to keep feeling the happiness that I felt when I was with her. We'd only known one another for three weeks, but I couldn't imagine no longer seeing her. I didn't want our friendship to be ruined, so I'd decided to keep hiding the Jackson 5 from her for as long as possible—even if I endured guilt. I didn't want to cut our escapism short.

Just as I was approaching the top stair of the staircase, La Toya was stepping onto the second level after having traveled upstairs herself. When she noticed that I was bolting her way, she widened her gaze. While pressing herself against the wall to avoid a collision, she then shouted, "Watch out, Michael!"

I took hold of the corner of the wooden railing to help me turn towards the stairs. "Sunny's here, Toya," I told her.

"Yeah, she's out back," she replied. Just as I began stepping down the staircase, however, she shouted, "Wait!"