Chapter 1: live, laugh, Jamie

I'm finally starting at Yale. four years of  high school for this I'm excitedly anxious I can't explain this feeling. Looking at my dorm room I can picture myself studying at my new desk, decorating with fairy lights, midnight talks with my roommate.

"Jamie are you sure this mattress is comfortable enough" spoke Katherine Jamie's mom or Kathy as everyone knew her.

"Mom it's fine I'm trying to get the full university experience. Where's Christy" Jamie said in a happily yet annoyed tone.

Christy is my stepmother she is a loving caring person she's had always been like a mother to me so it hurt to not see her here sharing this moment with me and my mom.

"She's working extra shifts at the hospital since I got laid off she promised she would try to make it but-" Kathy spoke in a soft tone.

"Mom are you sure we can afford this because it's not to late to refund and apply to a community college" Jamie whispered with concern.

mom was left broke after my cheating son of a bitch father died of a drug overdose. It wasn't shocking that he left us nothing even though he grew up with money. My dad's parents weren't helpful they called me an abomination because my mother is black. I'm not rich or privileged my mom and Christy worked hard for the life we have.

"Jamie you worked so hard to get here. me and Christy will make it work all we want is for you to be successful and happy." Kathy spoke thoughtfully.

"I am happy as long I have you and Christy".

My mom has always been stubborn. She's stuck in her ways and it's hard to convince her to change that. She'll always put me over her needs, sometimes I tell her she needs to take time for herself.

"I heard their doing an introduction at the lecture hall you should go" said Kathy excitedly.

"That sounds fun you should come" Jamie sympathetically spoke. "Since Christy isn't here".

"No you go without me get the full university experience I'll go talk to some of the other parents".

As I was walking down to the lecture hall I saw her Mae Carter.