Please Don't Bite Me

My stomach was growling so loud it's probably communicating with the animals around the school. I hadn't seen Nora since my first class, but she sent Leila to me with directions thankfully. I was stuck wondering how she remembered my schedule so easily.

Unfortunately, when it was time for lunch, I spent too much time asking the professor questions so when I left the classroom the halls were empty. My plan had been to follow the flow of students to the dining hall.

"Shit," I whisper, looking around. "You have any idea where to go?" I ask my silent snake. If I could really learn to talk to snakes like Madam Celeste said, then it would be very helpful at this moment.

Tink yawns on my shoulder and I sigh.

I start walking down the hall, turning corners hoping to see a student wandering the halls too. Eventually I look outside at the courtyard. A few students were eating lunch out there.

When I find a way outside I hesitantly approach a group of students, all of them beautiful girls with long hair and perfect skin.

"Hi," I clear my throat. They all stop talking to stare at me. "I'm a little lost. Could you point me towards the dining hall?"

One of the girls starts to smile, locking her bright yellow eyes with my dull green ones.

"Aw, you're lost?" Her voice was smooth, gentle. "Come here," she whispers, motioning me closer with a finger.

I wanted to tell her to just point, but I stepped closer, unable to look away.

"Sit with us," she smiles.

I nearly did until a familiar bat swooped down and started smacking her face with its wings. The distraction makes me blink and I shake my head as I step away. What the hell was that?

An arm links with mine and I find myself walking with Nora who tosses a glare at the girls.

"Sorry, sirens tend to try and hypnotize new kids from the human world," she apologizes.

"Sirens. That makes sense." I nod, realizing I barely had any control of myself near them.

"Lunch?"

"I might die if I don't get a cheeseburger right now," I complain.

Nora laughs, her arm still looped through mine.

During lunch Nora showed me around more, pointing out Madam Celeste's office then taking me upstairs to show me the showers near my room.

Only a few more classes and then dinner. For now, I was sitting at a table in my Powers & Precision class. By the name of it, I was interested. Of course, I didn't have any powers, but Madam Celeste said I could work on them.

A lynx cat hops up onto the table I sit at making me jolt. It comes closer to investigate me so I freeze.

"Please don't bite me," I whisper, and it sneezes, turning away to sit facing the front of the classroom.

A largely built guy sits next to me with the lynx, not even glancing at me. He seemed to have quite a bit of muscle, so I assumed he was a gargoyle. After observing other students all day I made mental notes on species differences.

Gargoyles had muscle, and most of them were guys. Fairies were mainly girls with colorful hair and eyes, plus the usual bitchy attitude. Vampires looked normal enough until I caught a glimpse of their teeth. They were all slender and pale too. At lunch I had my first encounter with sirens, so I made sure to avoid eye contact with the very beautiful people with musical voices.