Chapter 6: Dr. Yorick of Ole Misk

"What are you babbling about, Whateley?" Yorick asked arching an eyebrow.
     Whateley had brought Howard, Theresa, Carter, and Jeffries to the office of Dr. Cassandra Yorick; an expert in the fields of psychology and parapsychology.
     "Is that any way to speak to your favorite colleague?" Whateley shrugged.
     "I believe I once called your classes as useful salt water to someone dying of thirst," she dryly retorted.
     "Ah, yes, good times," he chuckled. "And I called parapsychology something along the lines psychiatric gobbledygook."
     "So, why the suddenly interest in my psychiatric gobbledygook?" she asked, eyebrow still arched. "Also, who are these people you brought with you? Apart from Howard, I don't recognize them."

     "This is Detective Theresa Gardner and her partner, who's name I missed," Whateley introduced, the two showing their badges.
"Detective Lou Carter," he interjected.
"Ah, there we go. And this is Dr. Jeffries," Whateley continued. "He's Howard's shrink. The reason they're all here is in relation to that whole warehouse stabbing that occurred earlier in the day."
"Oh dear god, Whateley," Yorick sighed. "What did you do?"
"Excuse me!?" Whateley exclaimed. "Why the hell do you think I have anything to do with it!?"
"All the people that stabbed themselves were your students," Carter retorted.
"Seriously?" Yorick asked with shock.
"Hey! Like I said earlier, I just teach occult studies!" Whateley exclaimed. "I don't encourage anyone to go out and actually try this shit!"

"Can we please stay focused?" Teresa jumped in. "Look, Dr. Yorick, Howard here was kidnapped by 6 students. From what we've gathered, they tried using him in some kind of ritual that backfired and ended with those students killing each other. They were using a ritual straight out of the Necronomicon."
"We really need better security at that library," Yorick lightly groaned. "This all sounds like occult, so I get seeking out Whateley here. But, why exactly are you in need of my expertise."
"Howard's possessed," Whateley stated bluntly.
"Excuse me?" Yorick asked. "As in some type of entity is currently sharing Howard's body?"
"More or less," Whateley shrugged.
"You sure it's not just Mr. Pickman or Ms. Downs?" Yorick asked matter of factly.
"Does everyone here know about them?" Theresa asked.
"Howard isn't always very quiet when he converses with them," Yorick retorted.
     "And everyone just accepts this?" asked Carter.
     "Why shouldn't we? Howard does his job and never bothers anyone intentionally," replied Yorick, as if what she said was obvious. "So what if he's talking to a couple people we can't see?"
     "You think they're real?" Carter asked.
     "To Howard they're as real as any of us," Yorick answered. "Part of my job is being open to the idea of forces out there that can't be fully explained. Paranormal phenomena and such. The human mind is quite..."
     "Fucked up?" Whateley interjected.
     "Not that phrasing I would use," Yorick shrugged. "But, it's somewhat apt in this case. I suppose we should continue this conversation in my office?"

     Yorick's office was by far more organized than Whateley's. While also containing a good few books, they were all shelved, as opposed to stacked almost up to the ceiling. She had her blinds closed, but she didn't have all natural light blocked out. It was also a bit more spacious, most likely to accommodate the comfy looking chairs and couch, no doubt used for therapy sessions. Yorick took a seat behind her desk, while the rest arranged themselves on either the couch or chairs.

     "So, who's this extra person in Howard's mind?" Yorick asked.
     "Based on the evidence we have so far," Whateley began. "It would appear to be The King in Yellow..."
     "An Old One?" Yorick asked with a hint of shock in her voice. Whateley just nodded. "Shit!" This was the first time they'd hear her curse, including Whateley.
     "You've heard of these?" Carter asked.
     "You would have to be living under a rock to not know of them," Yorick said bluntly. "Especially if you're a faculty member of this university. The Old Ones are ingrained in the very fabric of not only Miskatonic University, but Arkham County itself. And your students tried to summon one?"
"Hey, I didn't know they'd try this shit out for real," Whateley defended. "I only teach it! I also never expected them to get their hands on the Necromicon. Hell, I've been requesting to see it for years now. Guess I should've just tried stealing it." They all gave him a look. "I'm kidding! Jesus, lighten up!"
     "Do you have the book on you?" Yorick asked.
     "I wish," Whateley sighed. "They got someone from their station bringing it from evidence."
"Seems like something you should've just brought with you from the start," Yorick remarked.
"That's what I said," agreed Whateley.

"I am still wondering what exactly you need me for?" asked Yorick.
"Oh, right," Whateley remembered. "I was wondering if you could hypnotize Howard so that we can talk to Mr. Pickman and Ms. Downs."
"Wait? That's what we're here for?" Theresa asked.
"Did you forget the part where I mentioned she was a wizard at hypnosis?" Whateley asked. "I'd have no other real season to need her services. No offense, Yorick."
     "None taken," assured Yorick. "I'm no expert in the occult, so I would be of no use to you. Hence why I was curious as to why you came to me in the first place. I suppose now it's very obvious."
     "Wait, why do we need to talk to them?" Theresa asked.
     "Because they also reside in Howard's mind," Whateley explained. "Chances are, they've interacted some with this new tenant, and can maybe provide some extra insight. Also, I just really wanna see if it's possible to do." He grinned widely after saying it.
     "Any of this make sense to you?" Carter asked Jeffries.
     "This isn't a field of psychology I study, or even adhere to," Jeffries answered. "But, the things we've already seen today tells me to keep an open mind.
     "Wonderful observation, Dr. Jeffries," said Yorick with a side smile.

     "Howard, would you prefer to sit or lie down?" Yorick asked.
     "Sitting is good," Howard answered softly.
     Dr. Yorick placed the two chairs directly in front of each other, with her in one and Howard in the other. She placed a small table in between, placing a metronome on top.
     "So, have you ever done hypnosis like this before?" Theresa asked.
     "Not exactly," Yorick answered honestly. "I've primarily dealt with past life regression therapy. But, the principles should work here. Like how a past life resides in the subconscious, so do Mr. Pickman and Ms. Downs in Howard's."
     She leaned forward to start the metronome, only to suddenly stop and sit upright again.
     "I want to be very clear," Yorick addressed everyone. "You must all remain silent during this process. Howard must remain focused. Understood?"

     Everyone simply nodded in agreement. Yorick leaned forward again to start the metronome.
     "Howard, I want you to listen to the sound of my voice," she began. "I want you to relax your body. Keep your eyes on the metronome. Follow it back and forth, while taking deep breaths."
Howard did as he was told.
"Just keep watching it go back and forth, listening only to the clicking sound and my voice."
Howard's top eyelids began to droop as his body relaxed more.

"I'm going to ask you some questions," said Yorick. "Answer as best as you can. Understand?"
Howard nodded slowly.
"What is your name?" she asked.
"Howard Philips," he answered.
"Where do you live?" she asked.
"Arkham, Massachusetts," he answered.
"How long have you lived here?" she asked.
"All my life," he answered.
"What do you do for work?" she asked.
"Janitor at Miskatonic University," he answered.
     "Who are you closest to?" she asked.
     "Mr. Pickman and Ms. Downs," he answered.
     "How long have you known them?" she asked.
     "Since I was 10 years old," he answered.
     "What do they do for work?" she asked.
     "Mr. Pickman runs an art gallery. Very successful," he answered. "Ms. Downs is an explorer. Been all over the world. They argue a lot, but they're good friends. She's provided a lot of art for his exhibits."
"Are they both here with you right now?" she asked.
"Yeah," he answered. "There's someone else too. Someone I've never seen till this morning. I don't think he's a friend."

Howard's breathing got heavier, he began gripping the arms of the chair.
"It's alright, Howard," Yorick said in a soothing voice. "We aren't going to worry about this visitor right now. Ok?"
"Ok," Howard replied.
"But, I would like to talk with Mr. Pickman and Ms. Downs," she explained. "Do you think you could ask them to talk with me?"
"Ok," he answered. "I'll ask them."

Howard's eyes shut completely, they began moving back and forth rapidly. His breathing started off heavy, but it slowly calmed down. He then suddenly opened his eyes, his expression being one of curiosity. He looked around at everyone else in the room, giving off a slight chuckle.
"Could one of you darlings give me a smoke?" he suddenly asked, with an inflection that definitely wasn't his own.