Glimpse of Us

[2:10AM]

Atsumu lay awake, gaze trained on the ceiling fan above the bed. Despite having the warm body of the woman he wanted oh so desperately sleeping on his chest, he felt ice cold.

His eyelids were heavy, but he refused to sleep. He couldn't sleep, not when all he could think about was you.

Your touch, your kiss, your eyes that lit up whenever you laughed or smiled. That damn smile. The one he had watched fall as he broke your heart.

It's not like he meant to hurt you. That was the last thing he wanted to do. He loved you too much to ever do so intentionally, but he thought he loved her more.

Atsumu squeezed his eyes shut as he ran his hand over his face, trying to brush you from his thoughts. As his eyes opened again, his gaze shifted over to the woman who he chose over you. He tried to give his harshest glare though it disappeared as quickly as it appeared; guilt washing over him like a tidal wave.

As much as the setter wanted to blame her for his own decisions, he just couldn't. She was innocent in all of this; just a bystander in his mess of a life. A mess he had made himself and was unable to clean up no matter how many towels he set down.

Atsumu couldn't hold any negative feelings for her, no matter how hard he tried. She was always there to bring him out of the depths of his own insecurity that he usually found himself drowning in. Always there to bring a bright ray of light upon him in his darkest moments. Always there with open arms on his harshest day when all he wanted was a shoulder to cry on.

She was so caring, so understanding, so loving. She was everything Atsumu had ever wanted in a partner. She was perfect.

Why then, if she's so perfect, did he feel so empty in her embrace? Why did her breathtaking kisses taste so bitter? Why was it that whenever he looked into her loving eyes, he caught a glimpse of what he had left behind.