In The Beginning

John Eric Winchester was born in Normal, Illinois in 1954, to Henry and Millie Winchester, descending from Cain and Abel's family. Henry intended to raise John as a member of the Men of Letters to carry on their legacy when he came of age. His great-great-grandfather was a member. He detested violence and valued knowledge. The Men of Letters was a secret society tasked with the chronicling of the supernatural.

In 1958 when John was four years old his father disappeared. For all his life John believed that his father abandoned them. He spent most of his childhood and teen years feeling rejected and alone. His heart hardened with time.

In truth, Henry Winchester and Josie Sands were meant to be inducted into the Men of Letters on August 12, 1958. However, Abaddon found Josie before the induction and possessed her to infiltrate the Men of Letters headquarters. Seeking to steal the key to the Men of Letters bunker, she killed David Ackers, Ted Bowen, and an unnamed third man, permanently blinded Larry Ganem and burned down the Men of Letters headquarters, thus destroying the entire American branch of the Men of letters. Henry and Larry alone escaped the slaughter. Larry entrusted Henry with the key to the bunker and Henry travelled to 2013 to reach his by-then adult son John Winchester, but appeared in Sam and Dean's motel room instead. Abaddon pursued Henry into the future, where she killed him. As a result of the time travel, Henry and Abaddon vanished without a trace from their time.

John's mother remarried a mechanic and moved to Lawrence. John never got along with his step-father and there was always that gaping hole that Henry left. A hole that could never truly be filled.

Mary Sandra Campbell was born on the 5th of December in 1954. She was born into a hunting family, the daughter of Samuel and Deanna Campbell. They moved around a lot due to her parent's work; before they came to Lawrence where she finished High School. She was brave and fearless. She was protective of her loved ones and had a great sense of compassion. She had no joy in killing; but would do it if it meant protecting and saving others. She fought monsters without hesitation, yet every death, every hunt, added to the weight that she felt on her heart. She was stubborn and resilient.

Mary grew up hunting ghosts, vampires, demons, shapeshifters, and whatever evil threatened the world. She was extremely close to her parents, and she would often join them on the hunts.

Before John became "John Winchester", the hunter we all grew to both love and hate, he was a Vietnam War veteran (USMC) from Lawrence, Kansas.

He joined the United States Marine Corps; and deployed to Vietnam with Echo Company, 2nd Battalion, 1st Marine Regiment, and 1st Marine Division; and left the Corps at the rank of Corporal.

In 1972 John Eric Winchester returned from war, back to Lawrence, Kansas. He worked as a mechanic and eventually became co-owner, with Mike Guenther, of a garage in Lawrence.

Mary and John Winchester had a divine appointment in Lawrence, Kansas after a Cupid intervened to make them fall in love, on Heaven's orders.

Thus a "supernatural" love story was born.

On April 24th 1967 another love story was in the making. A black-tinted Chevrolet Impala rolled off the assembly line in Janesville, Wisconsin. A love story told through time and generations. That of "Baby" and the Winchesters.

Years later it would become Dean Winchester's trademark car.

It was another member of the family. For a long time, it was also their home, as they lived on the road, travelling from one case to the next. Although the brothers would sleep in motels, they would always find their way back to "Baby".

"Baby" has been there throughout the years to bear witness to the life of the Winchesters. First with John Winchester, then with Dean Winchester, then with Sam Winchester and now she is with me, the last remaining Winchester.

After his death my father made me promise to take care of her.

"Baby" has and always will be much more than a car to our family. I can only imagine all the memories that it holds.