Chapter 15

When the monitor goes off, doctors rush in and tell me to wait outside. Her mom comes running in through the room asking what happened, but they ignored her. I don't think she expected things to happen so fast. I didn't either Ms. Alvero. I'm emotionless. I felt her hand lighten undermine and her eyes closed for the last time forever.

A part of me left with her. A huge part.

My mom ran up to me and cuffed my face. I couldn't look at her. I just couldn't. Everything was a blur. My ears were stuffed, and I couldn't hear what she was saying. After trying to get me to talk, she gives up, grabs my hand and sits me down on a chair. I just want to go home.

I didn't sleep that night, nor did I eat. All I did was look up at my ceiling and stare at my pictures on the wall of me and Imani until the sun rose. I didn't even get to tell her I loved her one last time.

Owen and my parents tried to come in and talk to me, but I locked my door. I just want to be alone right now. Or maybe forever. I still have on my jeans and jacket from last night, and I need a shower, but I can't find the strength to get up.

My mom ended up using a key to unlock my door. She walks in with some toast and orange juice with a sorrowful look on her face. When she sits the cup and plate on the table, she then climbs onto the bed and lays on the pillow next to me.

Her hands brush the hair on my face back. "You gotta eat something bud," she says in a low voice. I stare directly in front of me. "I'm not hungry." She grabs the covers and puts it over me. "Ms.Alvera wants you to come over."

"I don't want to do that either mom." I then look over at her. "Just let me be." She stares at me trying not to cry, before she gets up and leaves with the door shut behind her.

A few minutes go by and I'm in the same spot. A few hours go by and I decide to climb under my bed with my laptop because it's too bright. I go to my camera roll and watch all of the videos of me and Imani starting with the first one. Our first Christmas together. I don't remember how old we were, but we were in front of the christmas tree in our red and green pjs, singing our favorite christmas song, "Blue Christmas" by Elvis Presley. She has the microphone, singing and twirling while I dance.

I smile a little before tapping on to the next one. This one was recorded 2 summers ago when we went to my family cabin. We're by the lake, and there's Owen in the water, splashing around with our cousin. Me and Imani are Climbing onto the tree to get to the rope. I remember going first because she was too scared to jump into the water.

I watch many more random videos of us doing whatever. Singing, dancing, challenges. We did it all. My eyes began to close and I drifted off to a sad, warm sleep.

╔══ஓ๑♡๑ஓ══╗

Imani's funeral was a week later. My parents had to force me to shower and get dressed. Mom even had to help me brush my teeth because I don't have the motivation anymore. It's been a week and I feel like nothing matters at all.

There's no one I can talk to because I'll never have a connection with someone else like I did with Imani. She saved my life but I couldn't save hers. At the funeral it was cloudy and raining a little, and not very many people were there except for her aunts and cousins.

The world just seems depressing and I find it weird how I can't feel anything but everything at the same time. During the funeral, I gaze over at everyone and spot Charlie.

He's wearing a black tie, black pants with black shoes. After everything was over, he walked up to me at her grave. It read, "I'll be right here." He puts a hand on my shoulder as we both stand there in silence. I finally broke the stillness and whispered "Thanks for coming." He sniffs. "Dylan?" I turn my head around. "Yeah?"