Aunty Natty

"Tears shed for another person are not a sign of weakness. They are a sign of a pure heart."

-Jose N. Harris, MI VIDA: A story of Faith, Hope and Love

Washington's late fall, midday sun beat down as Carol stepped out of Nat's black corvette. The S.W.O.R.D. emblazoned, black baseball cap kept her blonde ponytail back, and the silver, aviator glasses helped to protect her hazel eyes from the glare. A soft smile came to her lips as Natasha spun out of the driver's side and stood up.

Gazing over her Ray-Bans, a smirk painted Natasha's lips. "What are you staring at so hard, Stargirl?"

"Watching the most beautiful pain in the ass in the universe step out of her car," Carol sniped back, earning a devilish grin as a reward. She turned away first and started to survey the far corner of the Southern expansion of Arlington National Cemetery. She squinted and her vision locked on a head of dark, curly black hair belonging to the person standing in front of her destination. "Monica?" She gasped, then turned away and found herself caught in Nat's scrutinizing green eyes.

"What did you say, sweetheart?" Nat's eyes popped open as the color drained from Carol's face. "Carol? Honey, you look like you've seen a ghost."

"Monica's here," Carol panted. She tore her eyes from Nat's face and her hand came to her mouth, stopping the sob that threatened to escape. "I haven't seen her sin--since..."

"Honey, it's okay." Nat smiled tightly, took Carol's hands in hers, and urged Carol towards Maria Rambeau's gravesite.

Like a lamb to slaughter, Carol followed...

>>>

As Monica turned her head and focused on Carol, her black eyes took on a glowing blue hue. "What the hell are you doing here?" Carol froze as Monica's hands took on the same blue tint as her eyes. Monica pushed to her feet and stepped closer as a low growl rumbled in her chest. "I said, what are you doing here?"

Nat stepped between the two women, planting herself directly in front of Carol, her gaze locked with Monica's. "Stand down, Monica." She stayed calm, even as her girlfriend gripped her hand and the heat rose in Carol's rough hands. Monica took another step forward, and Nat took a deep breath, her tone becoming low and dangerous, "I said stand down, Photon!"

Monica stepped back, and the immediate danger ceased as her eyes and hands stopped glowing. "Why is she here?" She pointed harshly at Carol and bared her teeth. "She doesn't belong here! She has no right!"

"She was your mom's best friend! Dammit! She was more than that!" Nat growled right back, her grip tightening around Carol's fingers.

"Really, then where the hell was, she? Where was she while mom was all alone at the hospital? Where was she when we needed her?" Monica yelled as angry tears soaked her cheeks. She turned towards Carol. "Well?"

Carol's mouth was closed, her lips held tightly together. Her gaze fell to the ground, and she sucked in a deep breath, releasing it as her uniform took shape around her. "I'll see you back at the condo, sweetheart." Her eyes glowed a soft yellow, and then she was gone.

"Good riddance!" Monica yelled at the retreating figure. Then she turned back and knelt in front of Maria's grave, ignoring the small redhead standing behind her.

Natasha stood for a moment, taking deep, soothing breaths and tightening and loosening her hands into fists. That was too close. The last thing any of them needed was Photon and Captain Marvel coming to blows, especially here. The dead deserved more respect than that. "You want to tell me what the hell that was all about?" The words escaped her lips in a harsh whisper. Monica turned slowly and looked at her, seemingly unbothered by Natasha's anger. "Answer me!"