PROLOGUE!

BOSTON, 16 years earlier

The sound of beeping, an adult voice talking, and a younger voice saying their words of excitement are the only things heard in the hospital room 20A. The hospital room was just like any other hospital room with its white walls and white floor. A small bathroom, a large window on one wall, tv up on the wall, a hospital bed in the middle of the room, a chair on one side of the bed, and of course a heart monitor and some other medical supplies that are usually in a hospital room.

"We didn't think we would make it." Quincy Watson speaks to his one and only daughter, Romelle, talking about one of his many treasure hunts. His ten-year-old daughter sat on the chair beside the bed, looking at him with wonder and anxiously waiting to find out what happened next. Even though she had a good idea of what would happen. Her dad's stories always ended the same way. With him and his team winning and getting the gold. "My team and I were trapped. It was either the bad guys on one side or a brick wall on the other side."

"What happened? What happened?" Romy asks, her eyes twinkling with excitement. She smirks. "Did you kick their a**?"

Quincy laughs lightly and looks at her with a stern expression. "Hey, none of that language is allowed, missy." He raises his eyebrows, tilting his head to the side. "Who are you hearing that kind of language from?"

Romy shrugs with a cheeky grin on her face. "You."

Quincy sheepishly smiles. "Yeah, okay, that's my bad." He chuckles, glancing down at the silver wedding band ring he wore on his left ring finger with a small smile at the memory of his wife. He still wore it to this day even though she died from cancer a few years ago. He knew it was most likely time to try to move on, but he just couldn't bring himself to not wear the ring. It made him feel closer to her. "If your mom knew that you were cursing 'cause of me I'd be in big trouble." He murmured, stroking the ring absentmindedly.

Romy's expression softens at the mention of her mom. She reaches out and gently touches her dad's hand. "I miss her too, dad," She says quietly, her voice filled with emotion. "She would've been so proud of you, just like I am." All because of four stage breast cancer her mom died. And now because of stage four lung cancer her dad will be gone soon. It seemed like having cancer ran in the family and she hated that. And of course, she hated how it felt like everyone she loved was leaving her. She didn't have any other family by her, and she feared she would have to move from her home town...Or worse she would have to get put into an orphanage.

Quincy's heart warms and his smile widens at her words. He reaches over and ruffles her hair. "I'm proud of you too, kiddo."

Romy smiled at her dad's response, feeling a sense of warmth and comfort despite the sadness that often lingered after mentioning her late mother. She cherished these moments with her father, especially the times when he shared his adventurous tales from his treasure hunting days.

As the conversation shifted back to the story, Romy leans in eagerly, her eyes shining with anticipation. "So, what happened next, Dad? Did you find a way out?"

Quincy brings his gaze back to his daughter with a soft smile on his face. "Okay, so luckily at the last minute one of my teammates came flying by in a helicopter." He then quickly adds, "That he stole." and continues on as if that wasn't a big deal. "Me and my other two teammates fought off the four bad guys and managed to get to the helicopter with the gold before more bad guys could show up." He smiles. "And we got a happily ever after."

"I swear you have the best life ever." Romy comments with a grin. "I would love to go on treasure hunts, find gold, and fight bad guys." Ever since her dad had told her about his treasure hunting adventures, she had wanted to be just like him. She dreamed of going on her own treasure hunts and finding the biggest and the most valuable gold there was. She wanted to be an adventurer and travel the world. The ten year old girl was an adventurer at heart.