Tony Olson

66 year old Alaskan resident ,Tony Olson was a career counselor on a military base in Anchorage . His job was to help outgoing military members ,adjust to civilian life and his primary responsibility was helping them with their resumes. Outside of work Tony liked to keep himself in top physical shape and one of his favorite activities was going for runs. In 2012 he finally committed to running the Mount Marathon race ,something he wanted to do for a long time but kept putting it off. In the months leading up to the race Tony trained hard to make sure he was ready , he wasn't trying to win the race or be competitive he just wanted to finish the race in a respectable time.

So at 3pm on july 4th 2012 , Tony found himself at the start of the Mount Marathon race and his family was on the sidewalk cheering him on. The race director fired the starting gun. Tony along with 500 racers took off ,for reference a man at Tony's age and physical fitness level should be able to complete the race in two hours or less. but at 5pm when virtually all the runners had finished the race and Tony was nowhere to be found.

His family was concerned , but they knew he wasn't trying to win the race , they knew he was probably going to be on the slower end but they were now starting to pay attention and they were anxious for him to show up. Forty - Five minutes later , a race timing crew up at the top of the mountain at the turn around point began breaking down their set up , about fifteen minutes later when they were done, they started walking down the mountain when Tony showed up at the top.

They said to him " You are the last racer on this course , do you still want to continue?" And Tony said " Yes , i definitely still want to continue." and so the timing crew said " That's fine just take your time, be careful and we will see you at the bottom." So the timing crew takes off down the mountain right in front of Tony and they would turn around and see Tony still standing there catching his breath , getting ready to make his way down.

So the timing crew who was moving much faster than Tony very quickly got out of sight of him. so before long the timing crew were at the bottom they turned around and there's no sign of Tony , so they went and found Tony's family " Hey , we've just spoken to Tony he seems totally fine , but just so you know if you don't see him in ninety minutes i would contact the race officials and let them know because he should be down by then." So Tony's family sat at the bottom looking up waiting for Tony to show up, but ninety minutes went by and he didn't show up.

They waited another thirty minutes just in case , but again he didn't show up and so they informed race officials. The race officials immediately contacted the Alaska state troopers, and a search was launched for him because now fog is rolling in,this is a dangerous course and it is getting late. All night hundreds of expert Alaskan searchers combed this mountain course , outside of the course and they even went on the backside of Mount Marathon where it would've been extremely difficult for Tony to get there , he would've had to climb up and over the mountain which is just extremely unlikely , but they figured we can't leave any stone unturned and so all night they're looking they got dogs out ,and there no sign of Tony.

The next morning when the fog cleared up they brought in helicopters with Thermal cameras and they continued to search the mountain. But after Four more days , they never found Tony or any of his belongings .. and so they called off the search , it was like Tony had just vanished and to this day no one has ever found Tony or any trace that Tony was ever there.