Preamble

A/N: Welcome to my newest story! I figured I would try something a bit different from Love Bears All Things with this one. Even now, I am still experimenting with different styles of writing and storytelling, which you will hopefully see right off the bat! Before you begin, however, note that this story does not take place in the same universe as LBAT. With that said, I hope you enjoy!

-------

The country of Japan has a global reputation for its deep respect for tradition and unity. While a shared identity is easy to find among the unassuming, yet proud people of this nation, individuals of many stripes and colours express this reverence and union in their own way. Whether it be through their food, carnival games, or instruments, one will not have a hard time receiving a bright glimpse of the Japanese way of life should they visit. Even so, one may find - with closer inspection - that their journeys through life are not all that different from the rest of ours.

-------

On the island of Shodoshima, nestled within the Sea of Japan and the Kagawa prefecture, lies the small, homely town of Tonosho. Located hundreds of miles away from the capital Tokyo, one could be forgiven for not knowing of the town's existence even after an extended stay in Japan. Nonetheless, the quaint town recently found itself stuck in the middle of a tug-of-war between two rival cities. Eager to consolidate more administrative control, Okayama lobbied for adding Shodoshima Island to their namesake's prefecture. On the other hand, Takamatsu, the capital of Kagawa prefecture, argued that the town and island faced prosperity like never seen before under their careful watch.

An analytical overview of Tonosho Town reveals an explanation for this unseemly competition. What Tonosho lacks in population and nightlife, its splendid array of mountains, valleys, and forests more than makeup for the difference. The harmonious mix of environmental features acted as welcome relief for anyone needing a pause in their stress-filled routines. The abundance of shrines and stairs across the town's hills point its residents to their gods and ancestors, highlighting their reverence for tradition and spirituality. Each of these features brought out the city's primary means of revenue: tourism. The mosaic of environmental wonders and religious harmony have led many visitors and residents alike to dub Tonosho Town the Shangri-La of Japan.

But it would be a great folly to see the town as simply a quaint ethereal town. Its residents thumped their chests and gave off a hearty smile whenever someone asked about two primary resources: their soy sauce or olive trees. Just twenty minutes away from Tonosho Town lay a park composed solely of olive trees. The park was built to honour the centuries-old tradition of growing olive crops on Shodoshima Island. Around the region, one could find fields of growing olive trees next to the main road outlining the island. Tonosho also wore its rich history of producing soy sauce on its sleeve. The abundant salt they possessed and the soybeans they received from surrounding islands helped make soy sauce production a centuries-old tradition. The survival of both industries through the worst of wars, the greatest of crises, and the mightiest of natural disasters stood as testaments to the determination and truculence of the Tonoshoite.

Many of the town's residents also knew each other by name. It was easy enough to do since the town's neighbourhoods were compacted together. All the major landmarks and residential areas could be accessed within a short 15-minute walk, facilitating new bonds and friendships early in life that stood the test of time. Even with its residents flowing with many personalities and traits, Tonosho Town bustled with a fervent joint spirit that few places possessed. That was something that no one could exploit or take away, not even the grumpy bigwigs down at Takamatsu and Okayama.

Tonosho may not have gorgeous ocean views like Okinawa, the intricately decorated shrines of Osaka, or the bustling nightlife of Tokyo. But they didn't need any of that. All they ever desired was something to celebrate. Any milestone achieved, no matter how unique or small, was enough to send the town in enraptured cheers. Whether it be a record olive harvest, the rare picture becoming the number one trend on social media, or even a world-breaking accomplishment from their alumni, it would be enough for the town to declare a one-day holiday in honor of the achiever.

-------

At the pinnacle of the town's convivial vibrancy was their yearly rendition of the Summer Festival. On a dusky August evening, just before school resumed for their academic years, the main road leading to the venue was decked with a vast array of decorations. For one, the townspeople wrapped red and white streamers around the street lights by the main road. Metal traffic buffers were also adorned with dark blue signs with words of welcome inscribed with white ink. Finally, the road would be filled with festival goers who donned themselves with yukatas that bore intricate floral artwork. A passerby who somehow saw all the festival goers together would think they encountered a brilliant rainbow.

The venue itself was located at the base of the highest and oldest shrine in the town: Tomioka Hachiman Shrine. Right from the entrance, one could hear the rumbles of beating Taiko drums coursing through the festival grounds with the setting sun. Atop the thundering drums rang the trills and melodies of high-pitched flutes playing the most festive tunes humanity could conjure. Amid the roaring beats of the drums, one could also encounter the occasional person singing a love ballad with their biwa, one tinged with lyrics of olive trees.

The stairs leading up to the shrine were also part of the festivities. The stony staircase was terraced with rows of stones that provided a solid ground for vendors to set up their wares. The stands themselves rang out loud with chimes and bangs that invited goers to try their luck at a game. If one were to shut out the carnival music on display, they would hear a series of resonant pops from the Shateki stand, the splashes of goldfish from the Kingyo-sukui stand, or even the rattling of plastic rings against empty glass Coca-Cola bottles.

The other stands populating the terraces released the scents of delicious grilled food into the summer air. The sounds of batter frying on a metal pan sizzled from the stand serving takoyaki balls, releasing a savory seafood scent in the air. Another stand emitted the aroma of mayonnaise-topped okonomiyaki pancakes from its frying pans. Other stands rang the bells calling onlookers to try their sweet desserts like chocolate-coated bananas with rainbow sprinkles on top, green tea and red bean ice creams, and taiyaki cakes.

A last group of organizers focused their efforts on the festival's spotlight attraction: the fireworks show. Every year revelers would wait until the sky grew dark for the show to begin. When the time came for the show to begin, bright lights and vivid colours would shine forth from the summit of Tomioka Hachiman Shrine. The popping bangs and sparkling lights combined into a menagerie of whirls and bursts that dazzled all those who spectated from below. The pyrotechnics strove to hear loud gasps of wonder and excitement from the visitors with their fireworks.

Setting up and running the Summer Festival was a team effort requiring hundreds of adults to work in tandem. Among them were elderly ladies who gushed over the younger generation's youthful disposition as they checked off their to-do lists for everyone else. They all knew what their first Summer Festival experiences were like, watching the glow of the fireworks and recalling the festival's folklore that was passed down through the generations. One legend, in particular, stuck out to the elderly. In it, the story surmised that if a boy and a girl held hands during the fireworks, the sparks of love would fly in turn. With their lives lived in full, the ladies gushed at the hopes of new love that blossomed like the emergence of an olive tree sprout. Such happenings were more than enough to add yet another layer to the Summer Festival's endearment among the Tonoshoites.

Now, on a dusky August 8th, festive music played over the rush of visitors arriving at the base of Tomioka Hachiman Shrine. The ringing of handbells signaling the opening of the festival games coloured the cheers and gasps of the crowds making their way to the grounds. The aroma of grilled and fried foods also filled the air, mixing with the fresh smell of seawater. At the top of the shrine, the stashes of striped cylindrical fireworks were kept under close watch, ready to be lit once the sun bowed below the horizon for the starry, glittering night.

Last but not least, groups of pre-teen and teenage children sported the best yukatas they could find as they pranced towards the festival grounds. Underneath the smiles and dances were individual tales to be told and songs to be sung. Such tales would be more than enough to provide a portrait of concerns to address, hopes and dreams to fulfill, and relationships to grow. All of which would come together on a beautiful, sparkling night.

With such a vibrant, festive mixture filling the atmosphere, the stage would be set for yet another unforgettable Summer Carnaval.