05. in which i clarify a minor detail

Outdoor parties are another thing of the summer in our town.

These sacred events consist of dozens upon dozens of teenagers lounging outside someone's gaping backyard. It usually takes place in a backyard not too far away from the lake, so at some point or another, we find ourselves falling into the cold water. 

Tonight's one of those nights. The thing about these parties is that in the darkness, we are bolder. Say things we shouldn't, emboldened by liquor and laughter. And in these parties, a good chunk of the town comes, even the country club boys who believe that any party occurring signifies an invitation for them.

No one's ever bothered to kick them out, though, because they pull their weight with some good coolers right out of the country club with the great stuff. And they don't come in excessively large numbers, which means they don't take over the entire night.

I'd always thought that among the country club boys, they would dare a couple of themselves to go out into the real town and sneak into a party. So, two or three always come. Sometimes they leave early, other times they don't. 

Their presence has the potential to bring about a thick wall of tension, but when you bring food and drop the attitude, you're as welcome as any in our town's parties. 

As I stand now, I'm seated in a cushion, drinking out of a plastic cup. I drink soda, because I'm not always into the drinking thing and I am content with it. Quincy is somewhere within the party— maybe sweet talking someone new, and I'm crushed against the corner of the couch with Oliver and Luna shamelessly flirting next to me. 

I consider drowning myself right then and there when Oliver kisses Luna's shoulder like this is some soapy drama. 

Drew and Max have headed down to the lake and Micah and Cedar are somewhere down the host's house playing Foosball or something. I'm content where I am. At least, I am until Quincy appears out of nowhere and grabs onto my hands. 

There's an urge to protest, but it's quickly quelled by the sight of Oliver leaning in to kiss Luna. Rooting for them and all that shit, but this is the most uncomfortable thirdwheel situation I've ever experienced and for once, I'll let Quincy save me.

"Where are you taking me?" I raise an eyebrow as he tugs me along. Apparently he wanted to get more punch, and I suppose I'm his security guard or something. But he talks to me a ton as he takes a spoonful of the reddish liquid and pours it into his cup. He talks about the peanut butter honey truffles he whipped up with his mom earlier today with the honey we got from the De Leons' farm, and he comments on little things in the house from decorations to people.

The music is awfully loud, lights flashing. As if the summer heat isn't bad enough, people are pressed against each other as they speak in groups or duos, or as they brush past other partygoers, making the heat in the space amplified.

Luckily, a few windows are opened, so cool night air flows in and gives me a brief relief. 

"Where'd you want to go next?" Quincy asks, because apparently we're now exploring this party together.

Seeing as I have nothing better to do, I open my mouth to respond, but my response is cut short my Quincy's eyes zooming in on something over my shoulder.

"Ah, so we meet again." Emerson Abernathy's voice is beyond grating, so I recognize it instantly before I even turn around. 

Robbie's right next to him and where Emerson's lips are curved downward, his grin is wide. Mama says she doesn't trust guys who smile that much. They approach us and Quincy draws his lips into a line.