Chapter 3: Decisions Decisions

Summary: With some help from your trusted friends, you make up your mind about what you need to do. Let's just hope it's the right choice.

Warning(s): Swears
Word Count: 1,890

Warning(s): SwearsWord Count: 1,890

"So let me start from the beginning, and feel free to stop me if you have any questions

"So let me start from the beginning, and feel free to stop me if you have any questions." You pause long enough to take your seat between Anne and Crystal, folding your arms on the table's surface before continuing. "As all of you know, there are old gods and new gods, and there is an upcoming war between these two groups. A small fraction of the old gods is being led by Wednesday, a.k.a Odin, to try and defeat the new gods. But from what I've been told, the new gods want no part in the war. Which leads me to believe that this is all a power grab that Wednesday is trying to get at."

Louis raises his hand, and you nod at him to speak, "Do you truly think that the new gods don't want a war?"

"Well, I believe that Technical Boy and Media don't want a war, despite any grievances they've had with some old gods. But I'm not sure of Mr. World, their leader, as I've only met him once. And while I don't exactly know what he wants, I get the feeling that his intentions are not as harmless as he's trying to convey. But the fact that they aren't already at war tells me that he doesn't desire one, or he's waiting for the time to strike." You take a moment to let those facts sink in, surveying the group for expressions of understanding before resuming your little speech. "So what I need your help with is that I've been approached by Technical Boy and Media to pick their side."

This time it's Crystal who raises a hand, "If the new gods aren't participating in the war, why do they need you on their side?"

"Good question." You sigh, reaching up to pinch the bridge of your nose to try and evade an oncoming headache. "There could be a few reasons, honestly. First, we aren't that different, and while the three of us don't need each other to survive now, we do need each other to thrive. Second, while I don't necessarily identify with either side, my joining their team will most likely bring in other old gods. And third is that if they actually do participate in the war, I'd be a great asset to them."

When looking around the table and seeing none of them with a raised hand, you continue your explanation. "I don't want to join either side, but since the new gods came to try to recruit me, I need to decide what to do now. I'm on friendly terms with Media, and I know that I can trust her. And while Technical Boy and I don't have that level of familiarity, we do have a sort of kinship. On the opposite side, I have a lot of friends in the old gods, but they are starting to be led by someone I don't trust. So now that you have all the information, what are your opinions?"

"Well, you're kinda fucked either way." Jake crosses his arms and glares at the table. "So, I guess you just have to pick the lesser of two evils."

"Agreed. Though it's determining which group is the lesser evil, that's the issue." Anne inputs with a nod.

"If you look at all the facts, the new gods would be the better choice. Since you already know that Wednesday can't be trusted. But since you don't know what Mr. World wants, that adds in an unknown variable." Louis folds his hands on the table before looking at Crystal as she clears her throat.

"So, as of now, you have to decide if Mr. World's intentions are as bad or are worse than Wednesday's."

"I wouldn't know. If I think about the new gods' actions so far, it seems like they are just trying to help the old gods who have little worship left. But if it's a ploy to something bigger is what I'm unsure of."

"Mel, what's your gut telling you?" Anne gives you a worried glance.

"Besides telling everyone to fuck off and get the hell out of dodge? I don't know. It's all just a jumbled mess."

"How about you make a deal with the new gods?" Four sets of eyes turn to Louis with questioning looks held in them, confusion lacing through each different colored iris. After making sure he has everyone's attention, he elaborates on his statement, "Join their team but set terms to your agreement."

"Huh, that would ensure you don't get stuck doing something you don't want to do." Anne nods along with Louis' plan, eyes shifted to study your reaction.

The room falls silent as you think over their words. It's true that by setting some type of clause, they wouldn't be able to make you do anything undesirable, but even with that revelation, you aren't sure if this is the right decision to make. But your choices are extremely limited.

As much as you want to stay out of this fight, you know the others won't let that happen. Even if you try to distance yourself from the war, Wednesday will most likely brand you a traitor and turn the other old gods partnered with him against you. The very reason why you can't trust Wednesday, so joining him and trying to hide from him is out. And with those two options out of the running, siding with the new gods is your last and only choice. At the very least, joining them means that you have a bit of protection from being ambushed by Wednesday supporters.

Mr. World may have seemed a bit conniving, but you can't truly judge his intentions until you find them out. And the only way you can do that is by getting close to him, even if you don't want to. So, despite the anxiousness that clouds this decision, you choose to let it drift away with a deep sigh. After all, the least you can do is try this idea out instead of dwelling on what may happen.

"Well, let's think of some arrangements, yeah? I still don't know if I'll pick their side, but at the very least, we can get this ready if I do." To distract yourself from your surfacing unease, you reach your hand into your inner jacket pocket to take out a piece of paper and a pen.

Crystal lifts her hand to get your attention, "The first one you should make is that you're able to leave at any time you want. Second, they can't control your actions or make you do anything you don't want to, including fighting."

"Third could be that you are still allowed to interact with any old god you wish to," Louis says, raising a finger to keep track of your count as you write."I'm also going to add that I need to be told of any plans they have." You look over your list, nodding at the growing rules that will allow you as much freedom as possible should Mr. World try to trap you into something.

"Fifth," Anne holds up a finger, "should be that you can add terms at any time you want."

"Okay, I think this is good for now. After all, we don't want to make this too long, or they might just turn it away. And with that last rule, I can add things later anyway." Once you finish jotting down the last demand, you stand up, reading it over one last time to make sure you copied everything down correctly. "Let me grab my computer so we can make this sound more official."

Walking out to the sitting room, you grab your laptop from the coffee table and step back into the meeting area. Retaking your seat, you open your computer, click on Google Docs and begin typing.

"So, you're gonna make it into a contract?" Jake raises a brow at you, clearly having been tuned out during most of this conversation, which isn't that off-brand for him.

Anne elbows him in the side, successfully keeping you from having to answer his oblivious question. "Yes, genius. Try to keep up."

"Ya know," Jake rubs where Anne delivered her blow, glaring at his girlfriend without any real malice behind it, "that's abuse right there."

"And your stupidity is abuse to my brain cells," Anne smirks, accepting the high five Crystal offers at her joke.

"Haha, very funny." Jake pouts dramatically and crosses his arms, causing Anne and Crystal to laugh while Louis rolls his eyes at the childish action.

"Don't worry, Jake, your idiocy is abuse to all of our brain cells. Some might consider that a real accomplishment, you know?" Your jab earns more chuckles from the others mixed with an annoyed groan from your victim.

You ignore the girl's continued torment of Jake, instead pressing the print button and sending Louis to grab the document for you. He returns from his short journey, sliding the paper across the table after he gives it a look over.

Now that it's in front of you and the negotiation is over, you realize that you've unconsciously made your decision. You will join the new gods if they all agree to sign the contract, and if they don't, you'll stay neutral, damned the consequences. Because while you may have a hard time choosing between staying out of the war or joining the new gods, you know that joining Wednesday was never an option. Not with his backstabbing tendencies.

Though while you wish you could say you were confident with your newfound conclusion, you aren't. Because even with all the extra precautions you're taking, you still can't help but feel a bit uneasy about Mr. World's plan for you. But with a deep breath, you decide to dwell on the feeling later.

Only time will tell what comes of this, and you need to be ready to deal with the consequences when they happen, not stress yourself out over what may happen. Signing the paper, you fold it and fit it in your pocket to hide away for now. After all, out of sight, out of mind, at least you hope so.

"Thanks, guys, really. Now, how about we relax to both ease some tension and avoid the near aneurysm this situation is giving me." Your comment is met by laughter and quiet jabs as you all walk out to the living room.

Jumping over the back of the couch, you grab the remote and click the TV on, silently declaring this an unofficial movie night. Jake and Anne join you, shouting out their choices on what to watch and commencing a playful wrestling match when they can't agree. You roll your eyes with a chuckle, picking a random British baking show, as Crystal and Louis make their way over from the kitchen with bowls of popcorn in tow.

Everyone settles down, joining together to make fun commentary about the show and the awful creations some contestants have made. The tense atmosphere alleviates, laughter and shouted baking advice that the contestants can't hear echoing through the living room and soothing your unease. But despite the calming effect your group's antics have, you still can't help the lingering thoughts of the side you're choosing and if you're making the right choice.

 But despite the calming effect your group's antics have, you still can't help the lingering thoughts of the side you're choosing and if you're making the right choice

If you like my writing, please consider buying me a coffee: https://ko-fi.com/dragon430

Or consider joining my Patreon to not only support me but also get some benefits: https://www.patreon.com/dragon430