Sanctuary

You tapered your breath as you ran through the alleyways, ducking and dipping into the tall shadows of the houses of Paris. You were running along the cobblestone and leading Quasimodo by the hand. Your light footsteps are drowned out by the noises of the town, making you invisible in the busy city. You continued to drag Quasimodo through the shadows, making him stumble from how fast you were moving.

"A-Ah!" Quasimodo let out a noise of surprise as he tripped over a small stone, ramming into your right side. You grunted in pain as the push knocked you into the wall, bruising your left side. You grumbled as Quasimodo looked over at you in fear. "Oh! I'm so s-sorry, miss!" The bellringer stuttered out a string of apologies, hovering his hands over your shoulders as if to prevent you from falling.

You looked at the bellringer with a severe face. "Quasimodo, I'm fine. We need to keep moving," You grabbed one of Quasimodo's hands and began to pull him along again. "We're getting close now," You ducked into another alley, observing the little details of the houses, looking for the markers you had left last time. You repeated this a few more times before you finally found it. It was inconspicuous, a missing stone in the large wall leading into a round stone bench. You let go of Quasimodo's hand and rushed over to the bench, bending down, grabbing onto the seat, you gave a harsh push to the slab of rock. You huffed as you pushed against the heavy rock, trying to move the stone slab to the side. Quasimodo noticed your struggles and went over to help you. Grabbing hold of the stone and pushing it to the side with ease, revealing its hidden passage. You looked at the bellringer in surprise, now just realizing how strong he was. You shook off your shock and gave Quasimodo a thankful smile, causing him to look away bashfully.

You started to climb down into the hole in the bench, hooking your feet into the rungs of the stick ladder. You quickly made your way down the ladder with a careful Quasimodo right behind you. Once at the bottom, you looked into the dark tunnel, seeing nothing past the sunlight of the opening above you. You started to feel along the walls, searching for some kind of torch. You eventually found said torch. You picked it up from its holder and knelt on the ground. Then, taking out a flint, you started to click the rock against a bit of steel, sparks flying near the cloth end of the torch. After moments of this, the torch was lit, a small flame dancing on its fuel-soaked linen. You stood up, torch in hand, and looked back at Quasimodo. You extended your free hand to him, waiting for him to take it. Quasimodo immediately grabbed your hand, squeezing it tightly, and with that, you were off into the dark cavern.

You lead Quasimodo deep into the tunnel, his tight grip on your hand never wavering. The torch's flame burned hot near your face, making you sweat, but you continued. "Not long now, Quasimodo, we're close. I can feel it,"

You couldn't see Quasimodo, but you could feel him. You felt his hand tighten around yours. "About that, Miss... Where are we going?" He asks, puzzled.

If you could facepalm, you would, but your hands were full. You had forgotten to tell him about the Court of Miracles! God, you had just been dragging the poor boy around in the dark! Literally! "We're going to the Court of Miracles,"

You heard a small gasp come from behind you. "The Court of Miracles! I thought that place was just a myth.." Quasimodo trailed off.

You let out a jovial huff. "Your not alone in that, my friend. Most people do," you gave a light squeeze to Quasimodo's hand. "But it should stay that way. It's safer,"

You and Quasimodo continued to walk through the tunnel, suffering through the dirt until you reached a door. It wasn't a large door, but not small either, just a standard wooden door hinged into the wall. You breathed a sigh of relief as you set your eyes on the door. Then, placing the touch into a holster on the wall, you turned to Quasimodo, the dim light of the fire illuminating your faces. "We're here. Are you ready?" You said.