Chapter Three

"Don't wake her, she needs to sleep"

"Where are you going?"

"I have to go and 'heed' Arthur's words again. Take care of her, she has a few scratches"

"Alright, Merlin"

And with that, I heard an echo of a door shut. I fluttered my eyes open just a little, seeing I was alone. I felt around me, still half asleep, and was shocked. I wasn't sleeping in a freezing dungeon. It was warm, and soft. I lunged myself forward, messing up the sheets.
"Oh, Merlin" I breathed.
I moved the blankets and stepped out of the bed. But, I suddenly hit my boot on a bump in the wooden floor.
It was a loose plank that stuck up from something inside the ground. The mid day sunlight from outside made whatever was under it glimmer.
Before I could discover what it was, Gias opened the door, bringing in a tray of supplies.

"Oh, you're awake my lady" he said setting the tray on the table.

"Yes, yes I am. Uhm, what are those for, oh and do you happen to know where Merlin went?" I rambled.

Gias slowly turned around and said, "Merlin left to go do some chores in King Arthur's chambers and these are for-"

I interrupted him and exclaimed, "Thank you!" and started for door.

"My lady, you mustn't leave, you have to rest and you need tending to your wounds!"

I looked back at him with my hand on the handle, "I'm quite alright Gias" I said with a chuckle and left.

The corridors were like a labyrinth. Full of different rooms and passages to other sections of the castle. The many walls were decorated with candles and laced with kingdom crests. I searched for Arthur's chambers. Peering at all the entrances I passed. Finally, I reached his and Queen Guinevere's room and slowly pushed the door. Unexpectedly, the clinging and clanging of armor and swords started down the hallway. A loud shout echoed,
"Oi! You there!"
I quickly looked up to see the charging face of the King and two knights behind him. I immediately flipped my ragged hood around my head and started running. The sound of my clapping boots on the stone floors was drowned out by the shackling metal of the three men's attire.
"Stop in the name of the King!"
He shouted not too far behind me.
I dove down the steps that lead into the gardens. My shoes treaded against the fine gravel lining the path.
I rushed through the hedges, which was all too familiar, and tripped on the stone step that started on the trimmed green grass. My legs stung, and before I knew it, another had a firm grip on me. I gasped as they flipped me around to face them. My hood flew back and I was pinned to the ground by a knight.
His long black hair hung from his forehead. He stared me straight in the eyes, breathing deeply from the chase. He had eyes of crystal blue that I could recognize anywhere.

I slowly whispered, "...Mordred?"

His eyes widened.
"Evangeline?" he exclaimed quietly.

The shackling followed quickly and soon the other armored men's faces hanged above mine.

"State you business in this castle" King Arthur said sternly.

I felt Mordred's grip soften and nervously replied,
"I-I sought refuge...from the evil Lady Morgana"

Arthur and Mordred's faces were written with shock at the sound of her name.

The king's, however, quickly returned to its focused expression.

"How did you enter the castle without my consent?"

My eyes wondered the sky and replied, not wanting to get Merlin in trouble, "I'm so sorry, my lord, I snuck into the castle" I apologized closing my eyes.

I opened them to see Mordred's worried and concerned face.

"Trespassing into the castle is forbidden. But, I will allow you to take refuge"

I looked at him with lit up face, but he continued,

"In the dungeon"

Mordred let go of my arms and stood up in a quick motion.

"Sire, she came here to be safe from the witch! We can't throw her in the dungeon for coming to us for protection!" he argued waving his hands in my direction.

"She trespassed, and that must be punished" He ordered.

I looked at Mordred's longing face and knitted my eyebrows. But followed with a small smile letting him know everything was going to be fine.
The knight that had yet to speak was signaled by the King to pick me up and take me along with them.
I held my head down as the three escorted me to the cells of the dungeons.
The many workers looked and stared as we made our way.
But, down one hallway, a handsome servant boy carrying a pile of clothes, dropped the whole load on the floor, seeing me in their clutches.
His shocked emotion exerting on his face. I let my head stay turned back to watch him until we passed a door that separated us. I just wanted to look for you, Merlin.

They took me into the dungeon and let me walk into the cell willingly. I knew they wanted well of me, it's just I did break the rules and there had to be consequences. They closed the door that locked with the cold bars. I sat in the corner with hay scratching beneath my feet.

Back to square one.