xii. 𝐭𝐰𝐢𝐧𝐤𝐥𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐥𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭𝐬

Jason had been freaking out all day. Currently, Marinette was at the fashion store, buying some fabric while he and the rest of the Waynes set up blankets in the most private corner of the Manor's garden.

"Will you relax?" Dick asked, nudging Jason lightly with his shoulder. "We already know she's going to say yes."

"Obviously," Damian scoffed loudly, "Otherwise, I wouldn't be wasting my time here."

That, much to Jason's surprise and eternal chagrin, did more to calm him than anything else anyone had said today. The knot of tension in Jason's chest loosened. You could always count on Damian's brutal honesty, so if he thought that Marinette would say yes, then he was most likely—as much as Jason hated to admit it—right.

They had just finished hanging the twinkling fairy lights before they heard the tell-tale sound of the Manor gates opening.

Immediately, the rest of his family took off, running through the bushes and into the Manor, no doubt waiting for him and Marinette to return, the latter of which hopefully with a ring on her finger.

Marinette appeared a few moments later—they timed it perfectly—giving Jason what he called her 'sunshine grin.'

"Hey, handsome," she said, catching sight of him just ahead of the place he planned to propose. Pulling him in for a kiss, Marinette gave Jason a suspicious look, probably sensing the nervous energy he was practically radiating. "What's wrong?"

Jason huffed out a shaky laugh. She knew him too well. "Nothing," he said, sounding as normal as possible—or so he hoped. "Can I show you something?"

Marinette gave him a worried look but nodded nonetheless. "Sure, ma cherie."

Jason took her smaller palm in his larger one, guiding her slowly to where he had everything set up.

"What are we doing?" Marinette asked, a slightly impatient look on her face.

Jason laughed, feeling some of the nerves melting out of him. "Impatient as ever, aren't we, Mari?"

She shot him her usual faux glare—that looked adorable on her, he might add—just as they reached Jason's little setup of pillows and blankets and twinkling lights.

Marinette gasped and turned to Jason, a mixture of confusion and pleasure on her face. "What's this?" she asked in her perfectly accented English.

Jason shrugged sheepishly, feeling colour leaking onto his cheeks. "Just something I wanted to do for you," he mumbled. Smiling slightly as his gaze caught onto the various tangles of fairy lights, Jason pointed at them. "Look, I even put up those tiny little lights you love."

Marinette laughed delightedly, her eyes lighting up at his comment. "They're called fairy lights, mon amour."

Jason's hand slid into his pocket when Marinette turned to the little scene he had created, a dreamy smile on her face. "Wow," she said, her voice a little breathy. "It's so pretty."

Heart pounding, Jason knew that this was the moment as soon as his hand came in contact with the tiny velvet box in his pocket. Calmness washed onto him as he dropped onto one knee behind his hopefully soon-to-be fiancee.

"Hey, Pixie," he said softly as his knees touched the grass.

Marinette turned to look at him, eyes bright—that immediately widened when she saw him—and a disbelieving smile curled on her lips. "What are you doing?" she asked, looking like she wanted to drop onto her knees beside him. Her eyes looked suspiciously glassy.