~Maginot~

Hi everyone, quick note! This is a quick chapter on the backstory of Maginot, The Iceman's main competition in the Epsom Derby. I just thought it would be fun to break up the story a bit, please comment what you think of it! Thanks!

##############################

<>3 years earlier<>
A grey mare thrashed in her stall, her eyes rolling in fear as unspeakable pain settled on her. It was her first time giving birth, and Lucas Silber watched as his father's prize mare struggled through the ordeal. His father's health had deteriorated so much over the past few years that he couldn't stand, much less help deliver a foal. So, he sent the 20-year-old Lucas to help.

20 minutes later, the entire foal was on the ground. No wonder she had so much trouble, Lucas thought. This colt is enormous!

The first year of Lucas' colt's life passed as it does for most young racehorses. When the time arrived for the colt to be named, his father gave him permission to name the colt whatever he wanted. Lucas submitted 4 names:

Through The Fog
Spectral
What Do You See
Maginot

The last name was named after the Maginot Line, France's defense from Germany in WWII that was never used. Luke's grandfather escaped from Germany to France before the war and served in France's army. He was stationed at the Maginot Line.

A few months later, the notice came.

Dear Mr. Silber,

Your chestnut colt by Whirlhaze and out of Grey Lady, by The Grey Gatsby, born 2 January 2036, has been named Maginot. Congratulations!

-JC

Lucas framed the certificate and took it to his father, who was overjoyed. His father loved horse racing for the horses, not the money. He didn't give a crap about the money, so long as he had enough of it.

Maginot proved exceptional from the start. He flew over the grass like there was nothing there.

Soon enough, his first start came. He won by 5 going away against a field of 8.

Maginot proceeded to make 3 more starts at 2, compiling 4 wins altogether. Lucas decided to train him up to the 2000 Guineas instead of running him in a prep. Maginot came down with a fever the day before, though, and Lucas promptly scratched him. On to Ascot, Lucas thought. We'll see what competition there is when we get there.

He didn't know who exactly his prize colt would be facing, and that was where he made his first mistake. Never underestimate the ruthlessness of a girl and her horse who both have nothing left to lose.