Chapter 1 ~ Little Dove

Lilliana glanced around the grand hall at the centre of Hell; the place where Angels and Demons met to discuss matters of conflict, or an early reaping of a human soul. As it happened, this visit wasn't due to either of those things. An Angel had broken a rule and lost his fight to the death with the Demon he had disrespected... and Lilliana was the suggested replacement.

A piece of stone cracked away from the ceiling and dropped down with a thunk by the heel of Lilliana's right foot. The Angels around her shifted uncomfortably as a terrible stillness fell over the room. There was a hiss, and hot wind carrying a horrific smell whipped past them; a sound like hyenas laughing, readying for the kill. And then, with a deafening crack, the Demons known as Reapers were stood surrounding the group of Angels.

Soft growls rumbled around the room at the Angels presence, but the warriors of Heaven held their ground. Silas, Lilliana's saviour and mentor, was the first to step forward; and Lilliana didn't dare take her eyes off him.

"Solomon." Silas addressed the leader of the Reapers with a stern voice.

"Silas." Solomon sneered back. "I see your little protégé still hides behind you protective wings..." Lilliana narrowed her eyes at his over Silas' shoulder. "Ooh... such a pretty little pigeon... will you coo for us, precious?" he chuckled, his smile mocking when she remained silent and continued to glower at him. "I don't think she has your sense of humour, Silas."

"No, but compared to everyone she knows...se has yours." Silas chuckled in reply, earning himself a hiss from the other Reapers.

"Hold your tongues!" Solomon snarled ad silence fell over the room again. "Now, let me see this new abomination you've brought to replace the last one."

Lilliana clenched her teeth together as Silas turned to her and gestured for her to step forward, snapping his fingers at her when she refused for a moment. She glowered up at Solomon as she stepped out from behind Silas finally.

"Ooh..." one of the Reapers jeered quietly. "She's a pretty one!"

"Pretty little pigeon, step into the light...don't be shy..." Solomon smirked, pouting in a childish manner as he looked her over. "Aww... such white wings... wasn't the little dove allowed to play down here until now?"

"If I'd had my way I wouldn't have come at all." Lilliana snapped, and she felt Silas' disapproving stare burn into the back of her skull.

Solomon feigned a gasp of shock. "It speaks!" he smirked and the others chuckled quietly behind him. "And why wouldn't you come, precious? Worried we might tempt you?"

"No." Lilliana replied bluntly, then smirked having figured out his sense of humour. "I was worried I might tempt you."

"Ooh!" Solomon's eyes lit up and his voice became excited. "I like her! Yes, I see why you saved her, Silas...hmm...I wonder..."

Lilliana saw him head move up infantismally, a gesture for action, his eyes glancing over her right shoulder and she yanked her blade from its holster and twirled it menacingly around to press the tip under the jaw of the Demon who'd lunged for her.

"Just try it, Reaper." She smirked, pressing the tip of the blade a little more harshly into his skin. "I dare you."

"Enough, Bret." Solomon's voice ordered and the Reaper at the end of her blade stepped back, a smirk forming on his face as she changed her stance accordingly. "It's alright, my dove, you can sheath your sword."

"I might say the same to your boys..." Lilliana replied as she looked at the pleased smirks on each of the Reaper's faces. "And I'm not your dove. I'm not your anything."