EIGHT

"You didn't show up yesterday." Zayn looked up from the book he was reading to meet the stern look on Louis' face. He got out of his bed with a confused expression. 

"How did you get in here?" He asked and Louis rolled his eyes. 

"I've known you for years, we're not strangers. Let's not act as if we don't both own a set of keys to each other's houses. Now why didn't you show up yesterday?" Zayn sat up with a slight frown on his face when he picked up the stern tone of Louis' voice. 

"I was out for dinner with my parents and Sanders' family. It was their wedding anniversary, hell your family was there. I should be asking you why you didn't show up." He bit back and Louis' eyes widened slightly, a feeling of guilt creeping in when he realized he had come here with the intention to chide Zayn for abandoning him for Harry when in fact he was the one that had abandoned Zayn. But, like most men, Louis refused to claim responsibility and instead tried to deviate blame. 

"Well, I didn't know and you never brought it up cause you were too occupied with Harry." He shot back, causing his friend to quickly get up from the bed and approach him. Harry was still fresh on Zayn's mind, especially now that he knew his traumatic past. Too say Harry was a sensitive topic would be an understatement. 

"Why the fuck are you bringing him into this?" He asked, almost seething and Louis, noticing that Zayn was getting slightly angrier than anticipated, backtracked slightly, deciding that getting into a fight with his best friend over Harry simply wasn't worth it. 

"Nothing, nothing. I didn't mean it in that way, I'm simply saying that you and I are spending a lot less time together and I feel like it's because you're devoting more and more of the time we should be hanging out to be with Harry. Even though you already spend most of the school day with him anyway." Louis clarified and Zayn sighed, hands running through his hair in frustration. 

"Look, Louis. I get you, I really do. And I'm sorry that I'm not spending as much as time as I should with you. It's just, Lou, Harry's gone through some really fucked up shit ok?" Zayn couldn't hold in his emotions any longer, just thinking about all Harry had endured, alone, made his eyes well up and he sniffled, trying to stop himself from crying but he couldn't help. Louis didn't hesitate to wrap his arms around him in a hug. 

"You don't have to justify it, I know you Zayn, if whatever happened to him has got you so upset it must be so fucking terrible. I should be the one apologizing, it's stupid and selfish of me to come here and get all upset when I at least have the ability to open my big ass mouth and spew nonsense. I was only thinking about myself and not taking into account why you're doing what you're doing. I'm sorry." Zayn shook his head as he stepped away from Louis and sat on his bed. 

"It's fine, neither of us did anything wrong. It's just so awful, Lou, and I can't help but constantly think about him and his wellbeing which is why I just prefer to be around him all the time because that way I can know for sure that he's safe." Louis nodded, rubbing Zayn's back as he sat next to him, he remained silent for awhile, deep in thought before he turned to face his friend. 

"Zayn," He began and Zayn looked up at him, waiting for him to continue. "Do you like Harry?" Silence before Zayn scoffed and shook his head. 

"Just because I show someone that I care about them doesn't automatically mean that I like them Louis. By that logic it would mean I liked you or even Niall." Louis hummed in agreement but he wasn't all too convinced. Sure, Zayn was the type of guy to wear his heart on his sleeve. He cared for everybody in his life deeply and wasn't afraid to show it, he remembered how supportive and loving Zayn had been when his mother died; he fed, bathed and took care of the twin, who were still babies then, as if they were his own blood. Hell, there were times were Louis was so lost in grief, refusing to take care of himself, that Zayn took it upon himself to clean him up and practically spoonfed him. And he did all this without hesitation all becaused he cared, Zayn always did.