➭ a dance to remember

(this one shot would've been what would've happened in season 2 if steve and ruby hadn't broken up.)

   RUBY SMILED AT THE boy one last time before she handed him his drink and spoke, "Have a good time

RUBY SMILED AT THE boy one last time before she handed him his drink and spoke, "Have a good time." He beamed in return and then scurried over to his friends, all of them standing in one corner at the end of the gym. The blonde sighed as she stared at everyone there. She'd volunteered to help at the dance after everything that had happened because she'd not only felt awful for having kept El from Mike and the others for so long but also because she wanted to catch up with her best friend, Nancy. She'd driven to the dance by herself while El remained at home, still getting ready and would be brought later by their father.

"Have you seen El yet?" asked Nancy, pouring punch into another cup and handing it to another kid.

Ruby shook her head. "She'll be around later."

"I'm glad things worked out between her and Mike," said Nancy, smiling softly at the blonde. "They're way too young to experience heartbreak. Young romance is sweet."

"Speaking of romance," started Ruby, going to sit down on the bench behind her. "Have you spoken to Jonathan yet?"

Nancy blushed, glancing over at the photographer at the end of the gym who happened to be Jonathan. She smiled again when their eyes met and Ruby hid her own.

The Wheeler girl shrugged. "I think I might ask him over later."

"Oh, you so are." said Ruby with a giggle. "Nance, you two've been all over each other the past month. If you don't ask him—I'll do it for you."

"I'm gonna do it!" laughed Nancy.

"Good," grinned Ruby as she stood again. The two handed out drinks for a little while longer when the doors opened again, revealing Dustin. His hair looked a lot more like...Oh, God, just like Steve's. But he looked handsome, very freshened up and sweet. However, when he walked in, a lot of kids gave him strange looks and laughed stupidly. Ruby frowned and asked Nancy to fill in for her for a little bit while she went to see Dustin.

He beamed as soon as he saw her, only making her smile along with him. "Ruby!" he exclaimed. "Do you like my hair?"

"It's very nice," she said sweetly, nodding. "Let me guess—Steve did it?"

He nodded. "Yeah, but it's totally cool cause it looks great." He glanced around the room. "I think."

"It does," she replied. "Don't worry about it."

Dustin nodded again, smiling uneasily. "Are you sure my hair looks okay?"

"Dustin..." she said slowly. "You look very handsome. Any girl that gets to dance with you tonight is lucky. I promise." He smiled again, revealing his adorable teeth. She smiled even brighter, about to say something when she spotted something behind the doors. A car. That was Steve's car, she recognized it. With a frown, she placed her hand on Dustin's shoulder and said, "I'll be right back. Mike, Lucas, Max and Will are over by the DJ. Are you gonna be okay alone?"