Chapter 12

(Living Nightmare)

A flash of light distracted Arnav from his conversation with Akash. He looked on, his whole body going through a reflex. He was familiar with it, too.

It was the feeling engulfing him when she had walked into Bal Bharati corridor, right into his arms. It was the feeling enveloping him when she had walked into Oxford corridor, right into his arms. It was the feeling when he had slept peacefully on a fucking flight, of all the places. It was the feeling when he had wanted to visit old classrooms and the godforsaken library over winter break. It was the feeling he got every time he visited the cafe with Akash over the past few months. It was Khushi Kumari Gupta, his living, walking, breathing nightmare.

Inadvertently, he took a step forward, for she was only an arm's distance away. Reflexively, she took a step back, stumbling and falling down. Before he could safeguard her in his arms, her head had hit the ground. "Khushi!"

The crowd roared, some at the sight of burning flames, some at the sight of Khushi.

"Khushi beta?"

He saw a woman, a very familiar woman rush to her.

"Beta, open your eyes." She coddled her, as if she was her child. "Satya ji, please help!" She called to someone.

"Bhai, we should-"

"Help, yes. We should help. Go get the car out." Arnav ordered and moved closer. "Khushi, come on open your eyes dammit!"

The woman shielded her, however. "Who are you?"

"I'm her friend, Aunty." He touched her cheek. She was cold and sweaty.

"Khushi doesn't have any friends here. Satya ji, do you see him?" The woman called again. "Khushi is really weak, I can't carry her to the car."

"No, not anywhere." A woman called from the crowd.

Arnav built his resolve. He bent down and picked her up.

"Beta, what are you doing? Who are you?"

"I'm Arnav Singh Raizada. And I'm taking my friend to the hospital." He saw something akin to hope and trust bud in the woman's eyes.

"Arnav? Aman's friend?"

"Yes. Now let's go." He walked away, without waiting to see if she would follow.

Halfway through the crowd, he saw Shivaay and Anika talking to Akash. When Akash noticed and turned to him, Anika turned too. "Oh my god, is she okay?"

"She fainted, what do you think? Open the damn door."

Anika followed his orders and got in as well, holding Khushi close.

"Shivaay, which is the nearest hospital?" Arnav asked. Being a student at Oxford, he only ever needed to go to the medical department. But that would be uncalled for a non-student at this hour.

"Our campus."

"We can't go there. Khushi is not a student." Akash tried to reason.

"Actually, she is." Arnav and Akash turned to see the woman who had held Khushi, followed by a man.

"What do you mean she's a student?"

"What kind of friend are you, Arnav?" The man pressed. "Is this the time to question everything? Young man, drive to campus straight away. Shivaay, you're coming with us."

Arnav shut his flap and got in the car. Puzzled still, he called to Anika. "How does that Aunty know Shivaay?" Akash started the car, at breakneck speed.