Chapter 30

Jothan leans against the door frame of Silas's study with his arms crossed over his chest as he watches his friend pace back and force in distress and run his hand through his hair.

"What is your fascination with Dame Aiken?" The silver haired Captain asks, cocking his head to the side. Silas spins on his heels to face Jothan. He opens his mouth to say what is on his mind but the words get lost in his throat.

He takes a deep breath and casts his eyes to the floor, forcing the words to make sense in his head. "She is... an enigma. She comes to Lardel Castle with an aura almost as powerful as mine. She controls my dragon, Jothan."

He points to himself. "I am the only person capable of doing that and she just..." He chuckles to himself in disbelief while shaking his head. "...Does it with ease, without so much as uttering a single word. Not to mention, Ruadhan Dinan wanted her dead so badly. And look where it got him. Why did her presence alone threaten him so? Obviously there are some high spirits on her side."

Jothan nods even though he is still confused about what goes on in his friend's mind. "What are your intentions?"

"I think she is meant to be more. Being Dame is one thing but ruling by my side as Queen..." His head bobs up and down aggressively and a slow smile creeps on his face. Jothan's face falls.

"Are you saying that merely for the fact that with Dame Aiken as your Queen, she will increase your cogent proclamation as King?"

Silas nods, pleased that Jothan understands. "As well as hers. She is the first Dame in history, Jothan, Who deserves this more, if not her?"

"There is one major flaw in that imagination of yours. She is spoken for," Jothan reveals in case he is unaware.

"By her consort. Yes, I figured. I heard him say-" He stops in his sentence as he recalls the words he heard Tiarnan say to Delyth. He shakes the memory away. "I heard them earlier, the context of his words matters little. Engaged or not, she still has options. All I have to do is dangle myself like a carrot and convert her to me. Surely, her love can be swayed a little."

The devil on his shoulder is telling me that he was jealous of how close Tiarnan could get to Delyth without her being in the slightest disgusted by him, in comparison to when he goes near her. But, he never gets jealous. It didn't even bother him when Flavia tried to throw herself onto other men to get his attention. However, seeing Tiarnan's ring hanging around her neck spawns a burning sensation in his chest. Also, the fact that he followed her to Varusa as her consort proves his faithfulness to her.

All in all, he is not jealous. He simply hates--

HE IS NOT JEALOUS.

"Convert? What is this, the church? You cannot ruin a relationship for your personal gain just because you think that you and her can make a powerful union. I assure you, it is not difficult to find someone like her," He tries to convince him, with a slight desperation in his voice. In truth of the matter, he fears for Delyth.

It seems my dear friend has forgotten who I am? Silas thinks to himself.

Having Silas's focus on you is one thing but once he concocts a plan to fit his fantasy is a dangerous thing on its own. The moment he dreams up a plan and puts it in motion, nothing is going to stop him from making it a reality.

He points a menacing finger at Jothan. "There is no one like her. She is here for a reason, Jothan and I believe it is to reign beside me. Her little pebble in the road of a consort will not stop me."

The next morning Silas wakes as early as the first ray of sun that peeps over the horizon. Normally, he is not a morning person but he is willing to sacrifice one morning to see Delyth start her shift. He takes a different route in the castle, avoiding eye contact with everyone so she is the first thing he sees in the morning.