Moon Heat

The thick mist coating the world around him failed to diminish at all that day, or the next. This fog seemed to swell to fill Harry's own head as he walked along the barely visible path through the woods behind Greyback – he wasn't even entirely sure how he came to be doing this. Why was he trailing quietly behind the wolf instead of fleeing? Because he can outrun you if you take off outright, his mind supplied with a scheming tone. Bide your time, wait and then run. Yes, that was the winning tactic. Yet there was something floating through his muggy mind, waiting there like a predator in the shadows.

It's the werewolf in me, his mind whispered warningly, the recessive gene or subdued nature, whatever it was that Greyback awoke in you. It wants Greyback, it sees him as a good choice.

It wants me to follow him. At that very thought he stopped still on the uneven path and just ahead of him in the mist, Greyback stopped too, turning to face him.

"You think too much boy, that's your problem," the wolf grumbled, taking a few steps towards him. Harry raised his chin in defiance. He knew that a submissive should lower his head, show his throat in submission and respect. But he wouldn't. He may have werewolf in him from...somewhere, but he wasn't a werewolf. He wasn't going to be one of Greyback's bitches.

"If you're still sulking because I have you 'prisoner' then let me enlighten you, even if you did manage to give me the slip the Dark Lord would snatch you back up in a second. He's watching you."

Harry sneered, shifting uncomfortably in the loose trousers and shirt Greyback had bestowed on him. The werewolf had even given him shoes 'to save his dainty feet' he had said. The recollection didn't help him to adjust his tone any. He glared at the wolf hard. "He can't be, I'd have felt him–"

"I'm subduing his presence in your mind. I can do that now I have a connection to it. Our bond overwhelms all others," Greyback punctuated the point by reaching forward and dragging the backs of his knuckles across the angry-looking mark still a vibrant and purple-pink on Harry's neck. Harry shuddered and shot backwards out of his reach.

Greyback smirked. "He's ensuring I'm not going to release you to your little friends, no doubt, but he can only get a general sense of your state of mind. He can't see you or hear your thoughts when you're within range of me. Nobody has the right to see you but me."

He spoke with vehemence and possessiveness of the like Harry had never seen before. Harry was coming to realise it was the werewolf in him. He understood it but it didn't mean he was going to give into his own 'inner wolf' that was almost purring in his ear. It longed to prostrate itself at Greyback's feet and entice him closer with a swing of its hips. Harry almost gagged at the image, wondering why the voice had been growing more impatient, more desperate since he had awoke in Greyback's company two days ago. It was louder than ever today. His skin felt hot and tingly, almost buzzing with need for...something, though he knew not what.

"You still haven't told me where we're going," Harry snapped, averting his gaze then in awkwardness. He and Greyback were able to sort of feel each other's vibes, which meant that the werewolf must have been able to feel the ethereal, maddening heat beginning to overwhelm him. He thought he could feel a peculiar heat radiating from Greyback's skin now they stood closer, almost vibrating through the air between them, but it was hard to tell what was him and what was coming from outside his own body. He winced.

Every limb felt shaky, red-hot and sticky, clammy with a light sheen of sweat. It felt like a hot summer's day in the middle of spring. Merlin, help me, he gasped, his mouth dry and his head growing fuzzier. "What's happening to me?" His voice was almost lost to the intense heat wave that was sweeping over him. He started to sway backwards, at least he thought he did but two strong hands steadied him, gripping his shoulders firmly.