THE HARBINGER INCIDENT

It's been sometime now I've been living in this place now. It's great and I like it. An unfinished skyscraper when I found it a couple years back and the same till now. I marked my territory in the twentieth floor i.e., the top floor of the building. People might think I'm an orphan but it's not the case. My parents didn't let me stay under their roof after they came to know what I did for a living. Somehow I managed to find this place. I thank the person who paid for the construction of this building, from the bottom of my heart.

A lots of space my floor contained and a lack of ostentation since my affordability. Another reason I was satisfied with my shelter was the view of the city, although it wasn't that much of an altitude. I remember today is the day, a week left till my birthday and the day when I was kicked out of my parent's house. I was 21 years old then and as usual I returned home after work and felt something strange. The tension between my parents and me was rising along with the body temperature in the living room. My father sitting in his regular chair got up suddenly, an aura of rage leaving his face and his lips tightened. "What'd you said your work was?"

My mind just pushed my feelings just out of this universe and great fight began which lasted one and a half hour until my arrival in railway platform. He threatened me to never visit his village anymore cause if I did he'd file a complaint against me. I didn't took fright of the thought of me getting arrested but out of respect for my father I boarded the first passenger train that arrived the station and was headed to where my destiny would take me. That was the first night in my entire life in which I didn't slept for even a flash of time and it was 6:14 a.m. when I last watched the time. In a split second I passed out for approximately six hours and it was 12:15 in noon when I got off the train.

As of that day I got my new home, my new city. Thousands artists, craftsmen, engineers, businessmen, doctors, clerks especially the aspirants who dreamt rotated around their lives holding a thin, sticky thread, their work. They didn't care a dime about anything unless it was work. Huge opportunity it was for me to score. I suffered a great deal of pain due to loneliness and abandonment during my 22nd birthday. Starting that day till this day I've survived the lonesome and forsaken dark abyss of life and I have also developed a habit out of it. I've got to admit it affected me in such a way I'm unable to stay in unions of sapiens for much longer. A loner. Even an offender I am.

It's 7:30 p.m. I boarded the Aloha Travels at quarter past ten via S.N. Bus Terminal. Now returning there perching on the comfy seats of Aloha. It occurred to me tomorrow is my birthday, the only holiday I celebrate in the entire calendar year. I work hard I work in all the holidays except for this one because I've gotta save money. Enough money to make that lone world trip which I have been planning since my arrival in this hell of a city at the age of 30.

Getting off the bus I headed straight to the bakery picked up a cake and then came straight to my place my heaven. I dragged out the wallets from my clothes as they were nothing but encumbrance to me. They all were. I searched my surroundings for others. Quite a tradition I've acquired. I burn down all of these tiny burdens in my birthday every year so I better get prepared. My single day off in the whole year was tomorrow and I need to get up early with the aim of having the whole day to myself to enjoy. To get rid of all those faulty connections I made this whole year.

First thing in the morning, I headed down the road to the bar and got myself a few beers and a bottle of Buchanan's. Skygazing in the day went well along with the sip of beers hence without any delay I lit the candles lying on top of the cake shortly after the dusk. Blew off the fire with a gentle blow and then l helped myself with a little piece of the cake which by the way I can't judge the taste of, missing the old days when people used to sing me birthday song.