𝐨𝐨. two.

CHAPTER TWO .
CA: TWS, 2014
rewritten .

THE NEXT MORNING OF THE MISSION, Diana was well aware that despite of the small friendly banter they had the whole time, Steve was pissed with her

THE NEXT MORNING OF THE MISSION, Diana was well aware that despite of the small friendly banter they had the whole time, Steve was pissed with her. He'd caught her doing the small side mission she was tasked to by Fury, and to none of her surprise, his mood became one of betrayal.

She sat in Fury's office, her suit still on as she sat with her arms crossed. "I feel bad for Rogers, and that should say something to you." She described, leaning back into the chair. She sighed softly, looking at Fury with a slightly annoyed expression, her hair slightly draping in front of her.

Fury leaned back as well, his sigh being more of exhaustion. "You had a mission. You got it done. There is no time for regret in our line of work, Levine. You of all people should know that. Otherwise, would you be Miss America?"

"Miss America isn't my main alias, Director." She sternly spoke, her eyes hardening. "Miss America was experiment that you snatched from a cartoon company. I am the only living attempt at another Super Soldier Serum, so do not question my position as much as I don't question it myself." She stood, as she powered out of the door, leaving Nick in the silence of the fan that blew in the AC.

She walked out of the door, before her arm was harshly grabbed. She turned, seeing America's Golden Boy in a mood, their faces close as he spoke lowly. "You and I are supposed to be a team."

"You never believed in us being a team before, why is it an issue now, Mr. Rogers?" She scoffed, her eyes harshly connected to him.

He stared back, his harshness matching his. "Because despite the fact that I can't stand you, we are the two leaders of an operation bigger than ourselves, and the first thing you do is keep a secret from me." he let go of her arm, watching her grab it in a small act of pain, his grip being harsher than he intended.

"You've always been on your own." She whispered, laughing in disbelief. "I was never a leader, Steve. You didn't want to come around and stop being a dick. It's always been just you." she looked him up and down, her head shaking softly. "We were never a team, i'm just another one of your dumb soldiers to command!" She pushed him hard, though he didn't move, her anger was displayed, as she walked away from him.

Steve shook his head, his anger still on the rise as he stormed into Fury's office.

DIANA WALKED THE STREETS WITH NATASHA Romanoff, who was briefly in town for a downplay mission. It was getting darker into the night, and the two decided to head back to Diana's place before Nat had to get back to work. They walked with small bags of food in their hands, walking into her apartment building.

"Drinking on the job isn't exactly Shield protocol." She unlocked the door, walking in, setting down the leftovers and opening the cabinet to reach for the wine bottle.

Natasha closed the door behind her, chucking softly as she sat at the kitchen island. "Well the way I see it, it's to do a better job, won't be much of a headache as it is when i'm sober." She watched as Diana poured a glass, sliding it to her and taking a sip. "So..."

"So?" Diana chuckled, pouring her glass and closing the bottle.

"Heard you and the Captain are having some trouble leading your team."

Diana rolled her eyes, sipping from the wine in her hands. "It's the same old shit, Nat." She leaned against the counter, shaking her head. "He doesn't trust me or my abilities. He's always taking over when I don't need him to, it's so fucking annoying."

Natasha stared at her friend, before chuckling softly and downing her wine in one sip, pouring some more. "Jesus, you two are like an old couple."

Diana shuttered. "Don't ever say that to me again."

"It was the truth." She drunk a sip of wine and set the cup down, digging into the back for her leftover food. "You two are always arguing, always fighting one another, and then, you two basically flirt like crazy."

"Flirt?! Me? Him? Natasha." Diana looked at her, bewildered at her assertion. "Are we talking about the same guy?! Steven Rogers?"

Natasha laughed softly. "You're so damn stubborn." She grabbed a fork, poking into the orange chicken before plopping it in her mouth, her words muffled. "You and Steve yell and argue all the time, and you both enjoy it more than you think."

Diana sighed, sipping out of her cup as she leaned against the counter, Nat's words sinking in as she continue. "The attack on New York, you two went back and forth on the quinjet, and both of you were cheesing so damn hard."

"Shut up."

"Am I wrong?"

Diana knew that sometimes, Steve was just as interested in her as she was into him. She wanted to know what about her made her so unbearable to that man, what about her made her so agitating and dislikable that Steve always had to argue with her, always pick the side that she wasn't on. It troubled her, because she didn't hate Steve. He seemed like a good person, but because of his own actions, she did tend to say she disliked him.

His harsh tones would always keep her in questioning. But she knew there was no cracking the soldier, no matter how hard she tried to, he was just a closed book — one that didn't need to be opened.

 But she knew there was no cracking the soldier, no matter how hard she tried to, he was just a closed book — one that didn't need to be opened