07. MILK AND COOKIES

AFTER ALL THAT CRYING THING I WALKED BESIDES Kagaya with his mother trailing behind us with a frown. I sniffed a bit as we went to his office and his mother turned to another hall into her room where she continued to pack.

She needed to leave soon to handle the wedding of the younger sisters of Kagaya, since they soon would turn thirteen and needed to be married before that. The girls were already engaged and all so she needed to move out of the manor.

And due to rules had to cut all contact with Kagaya and the family, reason why she hated me so much.

She hated that someone so weak would take my place, after all – the former Ladies of the Mansion were known as strong Demon slayers before standing beside the Leader himself, if they weren’t Slayers they at least were strong minded of psychically strong.

But I was both mentally and psychically weak, I barely could control my emotions and cried or grew angry faster than you could say [Y/N] it made me feel bad and embarrassed.

My hand shook and walked around the table and sat across my husband expecting him to break down into a crying fit, but rather he started to write down everything as if nothing.

It made me frown, normally after the death of many pillars like Kanae and Kyojuro he would have started to cry and lean onto my touch for comfort but now his whole attitude was as if no one just got killed by a demon.

Their body wasn’t even found!

I leaned by body closer in curiosity as his head was leaned downwards to the table writing some reports that he got from the crows. And crows were sitting on a medium sized dead tree that was planted in a pot beside the opened doors that lead to another engawa. All entered with messages and exited with new ones.

Some reported rumors from villages and left, some were sent from other former Pillars over things they saw or heard from their area.

“do you need something, [Y/N]?”

My cheeks flared red as I jumped back, “n—no, I was just curious how composed you are, Kagaya.” I hooked a hair behind my ear looking down as a crow with red beets around his neck came.

Gyomei’s crow, it was an unusual crow, very young and smart, unlike other raven crows he was clearly trained for Gyomei who was close onto being a pillar. He knew how to speak clear and read since Gyomei was blind. 

He landed on my shoulder before saying the message to me his wings waving a bit to fix the feathers that were messed up due to the air.

“seems like Gyomei has killed his first Lower Moon, Lower One, you say.” I gave him some bread and he flew away to the tree with the others and yelled at the ones that asked him for some.

“that is a good news,” Kagaya smiled wider before calling over a crow with a wave of his hand. And one with a small bell on her paw came over and he tied the small note to his paw. She nodded and flew away in high speed into the day. “we should promote him, even if he only has four months as a Slayer, to fill the spot of our faller Pillar.” He continued.

I nodded with a small ‘hm’. And continued to write notes to Slayers that were around certain areas to investigate and if needed eliminate any thread related to man eating demons.

Then there was a swift knock on the door making me stand up and answer, when I opened I saw Lady Kaguya who wore a smile kimono and a nice loose haori over her shoulder. Her long hair was held in a bun. I then realized that she needed to leave today. I jolt of joy jerked in my body as a neutral expression stayed.

She looked very much detested that she had to leave but I just let her be, after all it wasn’t my business.

Her dark purple eyes trailed on my face and frowned beeper before brushing past me to her son. “Kagay I will be leaving this evening to the closest wisteria house in this village and then continue my route to the house your father has left for me.”

Kagaya stayed silent before crooking his head up from what he was doing. His mother sat down beside him, “I want you to do what your father has done, be a strong and respected leader, as you already have been these last ten years.” Her eyes moved to me, “that woman, I don’t like her, but if you trust her – do as you wish.”

***

The woman finally left and relief washed over me feeling much better than ever, but who knew what happened to her after that night.

Kaguya felt as the sun went down showing its pretty colors of orange and yellow as the petrifying blue and raven started to tint the skies. It made her gulp a bit hoping she could reach the first wisteria house. 

Her horse was very much turning pale making her look at the driver that was sitting before her as she sat on the wooden cart. The normal fast gallop that emitted from the horse as his horseshow hit the mud grew slow as time went on.

“what is happening to him? Is he sick?” she questioned to the Kakuchi who shrugged. 

“the horse was fine when he checked him before leaving, and he gave him some apples before leaving and they were fresh and untouched too.” His dark eyes moved back to the road that was now darker than before due to not only the trees but also the sun that soon would fully vanish.

“try to move him faster!” she urged his voice filled with utter panic before growl was heard behind her making her shiver.

And she was attacked her screams were filled with horror and fear as a demon lounged at he from the back, she just got to turn to it that it was already pinning her down by her neck.

Its claws sunk into her flesh. The Kakuchi who was directed for the incident to happen pulled a pouch filled with wisteria and shoed the demon away and grabbed the shocked woman and sighed his face calm and stoic not wishing to fail the plan that was said to him.

“are you okay my Lady?” he questioned but realized she was out cold. “this is a former Slayer?” 

Like that he continued the way the horse was dragging himself all the way to the
Wisteria House and then dropped the body around the river and then gave the horse and antidote to the poison that he consumed.

Since she was bleeding a bit he could use that to attract demons easily. He just sat there on the wagon as the horse drank water.

Not long after a demon appeared a low ranked that was hungry and immediately devoured the body not leaving anything but her bones, it then grabbed the clothes and left with them together with the hair – who know why leave with the hair. 

“how cruel is he to let me do this to the former Lady, but eh, I get well paid for this, and she was very cruel.” The Kakuchi spoke to himself and then resided in a Wisteria house in the next village.