Chapter 18

Ryan's POV

Congratulations babe. We are the proud parents to be of a bouncing baby bean. Lol. Everything looks great. 6 weeks and 1 day. Doctor Mills gave me something to help with my nausea. Sorry you couldn't be here. See you soon. ILY 😘

Along with the text from Laken was an ultrasound picture

Along with the text from Laken was an ultrasound picture. It really did look like a bean, with a couple of sprouts. I should be more excited than I'm actually feeling right now, but for some reason I wasn't. Maybe if I had actually been there  in person to witness it myself, I might feel differently. Or maybe it's because you are having a baby with the wrong woman, that persistent inner voice spoke to me.

I had wrapped up everything in Indianapolis and was getting ready to fly back home. Bubba had picked up a win last week and there was a party at Denny Hamlin's house, and I promised Bubba I'd be there.

********

I made it home with barely enough time to shower before the party and realized Laken hadn't even started getting dressed yet.

"Do I have to go?" She whined.

"No. You don't have to. I'm only going because it's Bubba. Otherwise, I'd have no other reason to go to Denny's house." I replied, secretly hoping she'd stay home.

I swear her face perked up for just a brief second, but then it was gone. She sighed. "Okay. I guess I'll go. For Bubba."

We showered, got dressed and drove to Denny's house, and now here we are, barely an hour later and I was ready to go home. I was completely exhausted from making the quick trip back and forth from Indianapolis, and I was still ticked at Denny over witnessing him manhandling Bree a couple of weeks ago. As if that weren't enough, earlier I caught Laken absentmindedly about to drink a glass of wine. She played it off as "oops, I was feeling so good that for a moment I forgot." Are you fucking kidding me? If it weren't for her getting sick and the ultrasound photo, I might be seriously questioning things.

I searched the enormous house looking for Laken, but could not find her and she wasn't answering her phone. I swore in frustration and heard that same inner voice telling me just leave her ass here and let her find her own way home.

"Yo man, you might wanna keep an eye on your woman." Bubba came up behind me and spoke.

"You've seen her? I've been looking for her for like the last half hour."

"Yeah. Just saw her in the kitchen with Denny. Fair warning, he's shit faced and was hitting on her." Why didn't that surprise me about Denny? He hits on anyone with a pulse.

I thanked Bubba and walked into the massive kitchen and found Denny standing behind Laken with his hand on her ass. He whispered something in her ear, making her giggle. I was fuming however. It wasn't that I was jealous over what I was seeing,l, it was the fact that he was hitting on someone who he knew was not available.