Chapter 3: A Lifted Weight

Harry looked to Fred questioningly before asking, "How?"

Fred looked back with a mischievous look in his eye. "You," he answered simply.

"Although, I don't see how that's important," Fred continued, choosing to ignore Harry's remark of "Not important?!". "The more important question is, why were you apologizing to me earlier?" he finished aiming a piercing stare in Harry's direction.

Harry looked at Fred determinedly, knowing Fred would not answer his questions, if Harry did not answer Fred's. "Because it's my fault you were dead," he stated, waving away the remarks of the two Weasleys who had opened their mouths to protest. "Just listen. Nobody had to die in the battle of Hogwarts. If I had turned myself in earlier..."

"Don't say that! Don't! You shouldn't have turned yourself in at all!" Ginny yelled.

Harry looked at her, conveying through his eyes that what he was about to say was essential to know, and all of it was the truth.

So Harry began his story, starting with the lessons from Dumbledore. Then explaining the night of Dumbledore's death, before moving on to the gruesome months of hunting for horcruxes. Harry paused when he got to Snape's memories, but soon plowed through, explaining how he was a horcrux and had to die.

Ginny was crying openly by this point, leaning on Harry's shoulder for support. Harry who's story had come to an end, wrapped an arm around her and was whispering in her ear.

Fred was stunned and had a distinct sadness in his eyes. "Okay. I understand a lot more now, but this still doesn't explain why you're blaming yourself."

"Because I was a horcrux and I should've realized it sooner. I should have gone to Voldemort at the very beginning. And even if that wasn't my fault, which it was, I was still a ticking time bomb. I was a danger to everyone around me. So many got killed because of me and I didn't do anything to distance myself from you or your family, and I should have. You guys meant everything to me. You were the closest thing I had to family, you took me in, and in return, I got one of you killed. I should have left a long time ago, when Voldemort came back. I should have known that he'd try to hurt anyone close to me, and in a way, I did. I knew, but I was selfish. I stayed, when I should have left, just because I wanted a family. People who loved me. I tried to deny what I was sure the consequences would be. So I stayed and I laughed and I put you all in danger." By the end of his speech, Harry had tears in his eyes and had a look of massive guilt overtaking his face.

Fred had never felt so heartbroken and angry. He was furious at Voldemort for causing Harry this guilt, and making him grow up so fast, he was mad at Dumbledore for not doing anything to prevent Harry from feeling guilty, for not shielding Harry, he was mad at Harry for bottling all his emotions up and not talking to anyone, but most of all, he was angry at himself for not noticing Harry's emotional turmoil, for not doing anything to help him, for letting Harry think that he or any of the Weasleys would possibly be mad at him for something that wasn't his fault, and for not being the older brother Harry so desperately needed.

So Fred stepped up. "Harry James Potter." He said sternly, causing Harry to look up at him in shock. "I never want to hear you blame yourself ever again. None of this was your fault. None. Of. It." Fred reiterated, seeing Harry try to interrupt. "All of this death and destruction, it was Voldemort's doing. Maybe he was after you. So what? Whatever this prophecy said, it could've easily been about Ron, or Ginny, or Percy. Do you think we would've cast them away, or let them try and leave to "save us"? Of course not."

"That's different! They're you're family! I'm-"

"So are you," Fred cut Harry off. "You are just as much a part of this family as I am. Like it or not, you're my little brother and I will treat you as such." Fred said pulling Harry close and messing up his hair. "I love you little bro. Never forget that."

Harry was too choked up with emotion to reply. Tears were streaming down his face, but he felt as if a huge weight had been lifted off his shoulders.

Behind them, a new voice frantically spoke up, causing the living occupants of the room to startle.

"Harry? Harry, where's Teddy?"